This soup is good enough to eat as a main dish: Tuscan Vegetable Soup with White Beans and Parmesan
Tuscan Vegetable Soup with White Beans and Parmesan
Prep Time: 30 minutes + bean soak time
Cook Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
- 1 pound package dried cannellini (white kidney beans)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 head green cabbage, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 4 stalks celery, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 large carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 10 cups vegetable broth
- 2 medium potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 head red cabbage, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- Six 3/4-inch thick slices 7 grain bread, toasted
- 1 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese (about 3 ounces)
- additional olive oil
- Place beans in heavy large pot. Pour in enough water to cover beans by 3 inches. Soak overnight. Drain beans.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in very large pot over medium heat. Add onion, thyme, and garlic; sauté 5 minutes. Add green cabbage, tomatoes, celery, and carrots; sauté 10 minutes. Add beans, 10 cups broth, potatoes and basil. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1 hour.
- Add red cabbage and zucchini. Cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes longer.
- Uncover. Add toasted bread slices to soup and remove from heat; let stand 10 minutes.
- Stir in cheese. Divide soup among bowls. Top each serving with ground pepper and a swirl of additional olive oil and serve.