Yield: 5 to 6 waffles
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 20 min
Banana Sour Cream Waffles with Warm Maple- Honey Syrup
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tablespoons granulated white sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sour cream
1 medium ripe banana
1 large egg, separated
1/2 cup milk
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
WARM MAPLE-HONEY SYRUP:
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup honey
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1. Spray a waffle iron with nonstick vegetable cooking spray (even if the iron is nonstick), then preheat to medium-high heat, or according to manufacturer's instructions.
2. For waffles: In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In another bowl, whisk together sour cream, banana, egg, milk and butter.
3. Make a well in center of flour mixture and pour in banana mixture. Mix with a rubber spatula with just a few strokes to evenly moisten batter; do not overmix! For each waffle, pour about 3/4 cup of batter onto iron grid. Close lid and bake until waffle is crisp and well-browned, about 4 to 5 minutes.
4. Remove from iron with a fork. Serve immediately, drizzled with Warm Maple-Honey Syrup.
5. To make syrup: Combine syrup, honey and butter in a small saucepan or microwave-proof bowl. Warm over low heat or microwave at 2-minute intervals to melt butter and gently warm and liquefy into a syrup. Serve warm, or store in refrigerator in a covered container for up to 1 month and reheat as needed.
*These waffles can be made and frozen to be reheated later. To freeze: cool completely on racks, store individual waffles in plastic freezer bags, and freeze for up to 2 months. Warm in the toaster, or in a toaster oven, until hot and crisp.
Source: RecipeGirl.com (via Real Food)