This recipe has been featured in a post on The Recipe Girl Blog: Pumpkin Chili (with Pumpkin Cornbread, of course!)
Yield: 8 servings
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 30 min
Our family LOVED this. We used the Bob's Red Mill coarse grain cornmeal and enjoyed the surprising crunch within the bread. Terrific with a little honey butter and served alongside bowls of chili.
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup cornmeal
2 large eggs
1 cup unsweetened pumpkin puree (canned or freshly cooked and processed)
2/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup canola oil
1 Tablespoon molasses
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease 10-inch glass pie pan or 9-inch square baking pan.
2. Sift flours, baking powder, salt and spices into a large mixing bowl. Whisk in cornmeal.
3. In separate bowl, beat eggs lightly. Whisk in pumpkin, brown sugar, oil and molasses.
4. Make a well in the dry mixture. Add pumpkin mixture and blend batter with a few quick strokes (just until blended- don't over-mix).
5. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 30 minutes, or until cornbread is browned and the surface has a slightly springy feel.
*We like to use Bob's Red Mill coarse grain corn meal for an added crunchy texture.
*Terrific with pumpkin chili!
Source: RecipeGirl.com (via Recipes from the Old Mill: Baking with Whole Grains -Thanks to CLBB: "heavy hedonist")