1 cup raisins
¾ cup long grain white rice
¾ cup brown rice
¾ cup wild rice
1 ½ cups chicken broth
6 Tbs unsalted butter
6 Tbs chopped onion
2 ¾ cups chicken broth
½ cup shredded carrots
3 Tbs unsalted butter
1 cup pine nuts, toasted
½ cup chopped fresh parsley
1. Place raisins in a bowl and cover with hot water. Let soak until plump- drain.
2. Rinse white, brown and wild rices separately and drain.
3. Combine wild rice and 1 ½ cups chicken broth in a saucepan and mix well. Cook, covered, for 35-40 minutes or until tender.
4. Heat 3 Tablespoons of butter in each of 2 separate saucepans until melted. Add 3 Tablespoons chopped onion to each saucepan. Sauté until tender.
5. Add white rice and 1 ¼ cups chicken broth to 1 saucepan and mix well. Add brown rice and 1 ½ cups chicken broth to the remaining saucepan and mix well. Bring both saucepans to a boil; reduce heat and simmer. Simmer the white rice, covered, for 20 minutes and the brown rice, covered, for 1 hour.
6. Sautè the carrot in 3 tablespoons butter in a skillet.
7. Combine cooked rices in a large bowl and mix well. Stir in raisins, carrot, pine nuts and parsley. Spoon into serving bowl.
*One half of a large carrot will yield one half cup of shredded carrot.
**Try substituting dried cherries or cranberries for raisins, and/or pecans or almonds for the pine nuts.
PRINT THIS RECIPE using your browser’s ‘print’ function. It’s automatically formatted to print recipe & picture only.
RATE THIS RECIPE[ratings]