One of my favorite slow cooker soup recipes: Smoked Ham Soup with White Beans
Yield: 8 servings
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour and 25 minutes
Smoked Ham Soup with White Beans
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups fat-free, low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Two 14.5-ounce cans white beans, drained & rinsed
- 2 bay leaves
- ham hock, optional
- 2 cups chopped smoked ham
- One 14.5-ounce can petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- Heat oil in pan over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until tender, stirring occasionally. Add garlic, and cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently. Add broth, water, parsley, thyme, salt, pepper and bay leaves. If you happen to have a ham hock available to you, throw that in too. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat; simmer for about an hour.
- Add beans and simmer for an additional 10 minutes. Discard bay leaves. Remove ham hock (if using).
- Place 1 cup of bean mixture in a blender or food processor; process until smooth. Return pureed bean mixture to the pan, add chopped ham and tomatoes and stir until blended. Simmer for about 5 minutes, until ham is heated through, and then serve.
- If you are preparing this recipe as gluten-free, just be sure to use brands of chicken broth, beans and ham that are known to be GF.
- Nutritional Information per serving (Serving size: 1/8th of the recipe) Calories: 235, Fat: 4.21g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Sugar: 2g, Sodium: 985g, Fiber: 6.67g, Protein: 18.72g, Cholesterol: 19.25mg, Carbohydrates: 31.34g
- Weight Watchers POINTS: SmartPoints: 6, Points Plus: 6, Old Points Program: 6
SOURCE: RecipeGirl.com (Adapted from Cooking Light)