Butternut Squash Soup is a warm and comforting meal!
In the fall and winter months, soup is a good choice for keeping us warm and cozy. It’s that time of year again where things are starting to get chilly, butternut squash is plentiful, and we need all the comfort food we can get. This Butternut Squash Soup recipe is a lighter one. It’s delicious, and it has so many good flavors going on in one bowl!
How to make Butternut Squash Soup:
In a large skillet, you’ll melt butter and sauté onions, butternut squash, chopped Granny Smith apple and garlic. Flour, curry powder and nutmeg and are then sprinkled in.
Chicken broth, milk (or cream) and orange juice/zest are added in. And then the soup is simmered for 20 to 30 minutes, until the ingredients are very soft.
After everything is softened up, you’ll take batches of the soup and transfer it to a blender or food processor. Be very careful in doing this as it will be hot, and you don’t want your blender lid popping off from the heat. Process until the mixture is smooth. Finally, season with salt and pepper, garnish with a little parsley and serve.
How to make this soup gluten-free:
This soup can easily be made gluten-free. Be sure to use a brand of chicken broth that is known to be gluten free. Also, you’ll need to use a thickener besides flour. I recommend cornstarch. If you have another favorite thickener that you like to use, then you can use that.
This is a Weight Watchers friendly soup:
If you happen to be following the Weight Watcher WW plan, this soup is definitely WW friendly! You will find a link to WW Points on the recipe card at the end of this post..
The result is a slightly creamy soup that’s delicious. Flavors of butternut squash and apple are awesome together, and then you have curry and orange flavors swimming in there too. Enjoy!
Here are a few more soup recipes you might like to try:
- Caramelized Onion Soup with Cider Syrup
- Instant Pot Pasta e Fagioli Soup
- Split Pea Soup with Rosemary
- Corned Beef and Cabbage Soup
- Busy Day Soup
- Roasted Red Pepper Soup
- Creamy Sausage Tortellini Soup
- Wild Rice Soup
Butternut Squash Soup
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups diced butternut squash
- 1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 to 2 teaspoons curry powder (use as much as desired)
- pinch of nutmeg
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1½ cups milk or cream
- 1 medium orange (use zest and juice)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- chopped Italian parsley, for garnish (optional)
- In a large skillet, melt the butter and sauté the onions over medium heat until soft. Add the squash, apple and garlic. Sauté for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the flour, curry powder and nutmeg, stirring constantly to blend. Slowly add the broth, milk (or cream) and orange zest/juice, stirring constantly to combine. Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes until the vegetables are very soft.
- Purée the soup in batches in a blender or food processor. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve hot and garnish with parsley, if desired.
- *If you're preparing this recipe as GLUTEN FREE, just make sure that the brand of broth that you use is branded as gluten free, and use a couple of tablespoons of cornstarch to thicken instead of using flour.