Banana & Toasted Walnut Chocolate Chip Cookies

Have you ever tried to make banana cookies? Those wonderful, ripe bananas with their sweet, majestical flavor… unfortunately turn a cookie into something that is more reminiscent of banana bread than a cookie. It’s tough to create a banana cookie recipe that is a good, solid cookie. Martha Martha’s staff did it though in her Martha Stewart’s Cookies book.

They created a banana cookie recipe that I only messed with slightly: Banana- Walnut Chocolate Chip Cookies. They contain both regular flour and wheat flour, as well as oats, and only a cup of mashed banana. Maybe it’s the chunks that help… the chunks of lightly toasted walnut and chocolate chips, but this cookie is more like a cookie than any banana variety that I’ve had before.

Sure, you can see some cake-like texture in there. It’s not a crunchy cookie by any means. I found it to be a cookie on the softer (but not cakey), sort of ‘medium-firm’ side of things.

As far as the flavor, they’re definitely a chocolate chip cookie with a hint of banana in them… not overwhelmingly banana.  They froze well too. I stuck them in individual zip bags and threw them in the freezer for my kiddo’s lunch.  Taste testers of this recipe gave it a huge thumbs up.

Next time you have a couple of bananas going south on your countertop, mash ‘em up and make some cookies with them instead of the ubiquitous banana bread. Leave out the walnuts if you’re not a nut family.

This recipe can be found here: Banana- Toasted Walnut Chocolate Chip Cookies.

Other Banana cookies on the blogs that you may wish to check out:
Gluten Free Banana Cookies by Gluten-Free Goddess
Banana Oatmeal Cookies by Genesis of a Cook
Banana- Maple Oatmeal Cookies by Fat-Free Vegan Kitchen
Peanut Butter- Banana Oatmeal Cookies by Baking Bites
Banana- White Chocolate Toffee Cookies by Playing House

25 Responses to “Banana & Toasted Walnut Chocolate Chip Cookies”

Sonia — June 7, 2010 @ 3:27 AM

Hey, this is beautiful cookies!! I love walnuts in any form. Will gonna to try this for sure. I’ve everything except walnuts.
    But, I’m little skeptical about bananayish taste as I’m not big fan of banana in baking stuffs. Does banana overpower the taste of cookies? Please let me know. Thanks. :)

Lynn — June 7, 2010 @ 6:20 AM

Terrific cookies! I love sneaking a banana into a cookie for extra moisture. Plus it makes the cookie seem so much healthier. ;-)

Heather (Heather's Dish) — June 7, 2010 @ 7:04 AM

you had me at non-cakey…i love the flavor of banana chocolate chip cookies, but i like a real cookie bite to them. these sound wonderful!

Maria — June 7, 2010 @ 8:41 AM

I made banana oatmeal cookies last week-still need to post them. Banana cookies are a great way to use up brown bananas. Will try these next time. Thanks Lori!

patsyk — June 7, 2010 @ 8:50 AM

I’ve never made banana cookies, although I have a few marked to try… this one may go to the top of the pile next time I have some bananas hanging around! Yum!

RecipeGirl's Mom — June 7, 2010 @ 10:27 AM

These look like my kind of cookie. Yum.

Great pictures too!

Gera @ SweetsFoods — June 7, 2010 @ 2:53 PM

This recipe has all the ingredients I love in a cookie: chocolate, walnut and banana, what a great combination – nice way to start a week :)

Have a great week!

Gera

Amanda — June 8, 2010 @ 3:06 AM

They sound good, thanks for the other links too :)

Katrina — June 8, 2010 @ 5:52 AM

I have made those before, too! A really great banana cookie, I agree. I’ve got like 8 overripe bananas right now!

Katrina — June 8, 2010 @ 8:19 AM

I’ve now got them baking in the oven. I was asked to bring goodies to something that have whole grains in them–whole wheat flour, oats–I decided to use up some of the bananas. Thanks for the reminder! Yours look great, Lori.

cookiepie — June 8, 2010 @ 11:02 AM

Ooooh – I always have bananas in the freezer, and I’m kind of banana breaded out. This is the perfect recipe to use them up! Thanks for sharing!

Amy (Sing For Your Supper) — June 8, 2010 @ 2:11 PM

I always have that problem whenever I try to make banana cookies- way too soft and not cookie-like at all! I actually have the Martha Stewart Cookies cookbook- I may need to test these out; yours look fabulous!!

Charles G Thompson — June 8, 2010 @ 7:18 PM

Those look AMAZINGLY good! Will be trying them very soon.

shannon abdollmohamm — June 8, 2010 @ 8:17 PM

Very nice…would go great with a hot cup of espresso!!!!

Barbara — June 9, 2010 @ 7:19 AM

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a cookie recipe with bananas in it! What a super idea. They would be so moist and paired with crunchy walnuts, delish!

Mary — June 11, 2010 @ 12:23 PM

YUM! Love banana anything but never tried it in a cookie! Will do so soon! Bookmarked :)

xxMK
    Delightful Bitefuls

Karina — June 11, 2010 @ 3:00 PM

I love the look of these cookies! Such lovely bumps and texture. I’m going to try your version, gluten-free. These look absolutely brilliant.

Joan — June 12, 2010 @ 7:59 AM

Excellent cookie and it is a keeper!

Avanika (Yumsilicious Bakes) — June 19, 2010 @ 3:58 PM

I’ve been looking for a banana cookie that isn’t like banana bread!! Thanks, it sure looks delicious!

JRo — July 29, 2010 @ 9:16 PM

I am making these right now and the aroma is fantastic. Nearly ate the banana batter by itself!

JRo — July 29, 2010 @ 9:28 PM

Eating them now. All I can say is YUMMMMM! I added in some PB chips on the last batch, and it’s a great addition.

Zimm — January 23, 2011 @ 4:39 PM

These cookies are great! Best cookie I have tried yet!

Tracy — September 5, 2011 @ 3:37 PM

I made these this morning and I love them! I think I’ll try the blueberry cookies next :)

Monique @ Ambitious Kitchen — May 21, 2012 @ 12:23 PM

I was shamelessly stalking food gawker when I stumbled upon these cookies.Umm amazing! I am going to have to give them a try.

Mary Rowe — January 13, 2014 @ 4:24 AM

I had a wonderful banana chocolate chip muffintcipe that I got from a magazine! It called for some fancy chocolate. bar, but I substituted chips! They were out of this world! I lost the recipe and cannot remember it all! You made a batter out of melted buttet, sugar, eggs and some flour! You saved some of the batter to make up the topping! It had sour cream, bananas and chips! If you have seen a recipe like this I would appreciate you posting it.. My problem is. cannot remember the exact amounts and what I added to the topping! Thank you in advamce, and God Bless!