2 Ingredient Pancakes

Have you noticed these 2-Ingredient Pancakes floating around on the internet??! Maybe I’m late to the party, but my son and I spotted them on the gorgeous food blog- Top with Cinnamon last weekend- the girl is only 16 and she nabbed the coolest-ever photos! And my son shared his version of 2-Ingredient Pancakes on his own blog last week. Since I’ve been trying to cut down on consuming carbs in general, I’ve been a little enthusiastic about trying out different variations of this crazy “pancake” concoction. It’s a fun little recipe that everyone should know about (especially my gluten-free friends and anyone watching their weight).  So I’ll share the basic recipe with you here and some suggested ways to play around with: 2 Ingredient Pancakes

The 2 secret ingredients are: Mashed Ripe Banana and Egg. That’s it. No flour, nothing else. Just banana + egg. Isn’t that crazy?

So in this first version you see above, (for only me) I used about 1/3 cup mashed banana + 1 egg. Stir it all up and fry it like a pancake. I topped this one with crunchy peanut butter and a little bit of honey. What does it taste like? Well… it tastes a lot like a banana pancake. It’s not fluffy like a regular flour pancake, but it provides a fairly good simulation of a normal pancake.  It’s definitely NOT the same (so don’t expect that), but I think it’s pretty darn good.

For this second version, I tried using just egg whites.  I used about 1/4 to 1/3 cup mashed banana + 2 tablespoons egg whites, then topped it with a few banana slices and a quick drizzle of light maple syrup. This one definitely tasted like banana pancakes. It was a little lighter in texture than the version above where I used a whole egg. All in all it was still rather good, though I preferred the version where you use the whole egg (plus, I like the idea of that added protein).

So what do you think… are you intrigued enough to try them?  I’d definitely encourage you to play around with the ingredients a little bit- there isn’t an exact ratio of egg to banana or anything. You could always mix in a tablespoon or two of almond flour to get a more substantial pancake, or top the classic version with Nutella and strawberries too.

And be sure to check out my son RecipeBoy’s version too: 4 Ingredient Chocolate Chip Pancakes. His actually look much better than mine!

*Nutritional information is included in the recipe below. If you want to modify the ingredients and you need to figure out nutritional information, you can try using the Spark People Recipe Calculator

Print Print Recipe
Save Save Recipe

2 Ingredient Pancakes

Yield: Serves 1 or 2 people, depending on how hungry you are

Prep Time: 10 min

Cook Time: 5 min

This recipe is for the basic version. Contribute add-ins, as desired.

Ingredients:

1/2 cup very well mashed ripe banana
2 eggs

Directions:

1. Mix banana and egg in a medium bowl. Heat a skillet to medium, and spray with nonstick spray. Scoop about 1/4 cup of the batter onto the skillet. Cook until edges are dry- the pancake will be thin. Flip and cook the other side briefly. Repeat with the remaining batter. You should be able to get 4 or 5 thin pancakes.

Tips:

Suggested Add-ins or toppings:
*mini chocolate chips
*tiny blueberries
*nutella + strawberries
*peanut or almond butter + honey
*maple syrup

Nutritional Information per serving:
Serving size: Recipe divided in half (no add-ins)
Calories per serving: 122
Fat per serving: 5.3g
Saturated Fat per serving: 1.6g
Sugar per serving: 7g
Sodium per serving: ,span class="sodium">71g
Fiber per serving: 1.3g
Protein per serving: 6.8g
Cholesterol per serving: 185mg
Carbohydrates per serving: 13.2g

WW POINTS per serving:
Points Plus Program: 3 Old Points Program: 3

Source: RecipeGirl.com (inspired by Top with Cinnamon and RecipeBoy)

74 Responses to “2 Ingredient Pancakes”

Edwina Capozziello — January 26, 2013 @ 5:26 AM

I’m trying it with separated eggs so that I can whip the egg whites before adding…I’m hoping that with give it a little more loft!

Holiday Baker Man — January 26, 2013 @ 5:53 AM

Cool idea…although I may consider the full on pancakes for how often I make them ;)

Lori Lange — January 26, 2013 @ 6:56 AM

good idea! A little baking powder might give them lift too.

Lynda — January 26, 2013 @ 7:04 AM

I just made these and they are FABULOUS!! I amazed at how much they taste like real pancakes, well maybe more like crepes actually. Love them! I really don’t like eggs on their own, so this is a great way for me to get all the benefits of eggs into my diet.

janet r — January 26, 2013 @ 7:34 AM

I’ll bet you could add a couple tbs of oat bran.

Sanjeeta kk — January 26, 2013 @ 9:26 AM

A recipe to treasure indeed…love this quickie!

stacey — January 26, 2013 @ 10:10 AM

Loved the idea – tried it this morning using the egg whites instead of the whole egg however they stuck to the pan although i used pam. Also, they were quite as flat and thin as yours..what did I do wrong?

Lori Lange — January 26, 2013 @ 10:41 AM

Did you use a nonstick pan? I used nonstick for both versions and didn’t have trouble with sticking at all.

Lori Lange — January 26, 2013 @ 10:41 AM

sure!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — January 26, 2013 @ 10:57 AM

I saw those on her site and on FG this week, too! Amazing that it works, but it does! It’s pretty amazing, right! Your pancakes look perfect for a dreary weekend morning to brighten it up :)

Megan — January 26, 2013 @ 12:12 PM

I love these. I would not, however, recommend adding chocolate chips before cooking. I’ve done it and it becomes a watery, burnt chocolate mess. But maybe on top… Mmmmm.

bridget {bake at 350} — January 26, 2013 @ 12:29 PM

I guess I’m REALLY late to the party because I’ve never heard of these! Wow…I can’t wait to try them! We make pancakes a LOT around here, so it will be fun to change things up a bit!

Lori Lange — January 26, 2013 @ 2:21 PM

No- definitely don’t mix them into the batter, but you can sprinkle them on top of the pancake as indicated in RecipeBoy’s recipe… see the link for details.

Kel — January 26, 2013 @ 6:07 PM

Can you use bananas that have been frozen successfully in this dish? I will try soon!

Kalyana White — January 26, 2013 @ 6:51 PM

We have made these a few times, and the last time my husband actually whipped them up in the ol’ kitchenaid mixer…and voila, the texture was a lot more like regular pancakes! I think he let it go for about a minute or so until the bananas were no longer chunky. The bananas weren’t overly ripe, so that may have had something to do with it as well. Another thing I like to do is add a teaspoon of vanilla extract and some cinnamon to the mix (when he made them, he used 3 bananas and 6 eggs to feed the 3 of us – it made plenty and we had a few extra).
    There is another version of this type of pancake using canned pumpkin and eggs. Talk about delicious!

Maegan @ The BakerMama — January 26, 2013 @ 9:17 PM

Brilliant! We will be making these for breakfast in the morning! Can’t wait to try them!

kirsten@FarmFreshFeasts — January 27, 2013 @ 7:17 AM

Never heard of them–but thanks for teaching me! I’m out of most of my flours (too much pizza?) but it’s good to know I could whip up pancakes as I always have bananas in the freezer and eggs in the fridge.

Cookin Canuck — January 27, 2013 @ 8:18 AM

I’m totally fascinated by this and HAVE to try it. What a fun idea, Lori!

Aikko — January 27, 2013 @ 8:57 AM

Amazing Lori! Love how simple this is! Can’t wait to try it! :)

Lisa — January 27, 2013 @ 9:03 AM

These sound great – quick and easy. I will be trying them tomorrow morning!

Krista — January 27, 2013 @ 10:40 AM

So yummy Lori! It would be so easy to whip up one serving too instead of a whole batch of regular pancakes which would undoubtedly be devoured feeling me guilt ridden and stuffed. Great flavors too!

Deborah B. — January 27, 2013 @ 12:36 PM

I make another version with grated apple, egg, ground flaxseed and cinnamon. Quick and easy (although there are four ingredients instead of two!)

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — January 27, 2013 @ 1:09 PM

I have to laugh, I just made these a couple of weeks ago! They are crazy good! I love them with peanut butter!! Yum!! I love simple and delicious!

Adrian — January 28, 2013 @ 6:43 AM

Ah! I just tried to make it by using the separated egg i.e. whipping the white first then adding banana + yolk and while the batter looked beautiful when I was frying the pancake it wasn’t strong enough to stay together and couldn’t flip as one whole piece :( Mine turned out like a mush. But I will persevere! The sweetness/caramelization of the bananas is like no other though :D

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — January 28, 2013 @ 12:14 PM

Just bought extra bananas so I could try these tomorrow – love this idea!

Lisa Sow — January 29, 2013 @ 8:00 AM

Can you substitute banana with apple sauce? I really don’t like the taste of banana, so do these pancakes really taste like bananas?

Kari@Loaves n Dishes — January 29, 2013 @ 9:17 AM

Super cool recipe, I love thin pancakes. I’m with you on the whole eggs, I always go whole eggs.

Liz Cullinane — January 29, 2013 @ 10:24 AM

thanks for this Lori, can’t wait to try these. Please tell “Recipe Boy” that his site is great!

Lori Lange — January 29, 2013 @ 11:29 AM

Thanks, I will!

Lori Lange — January 29, 2013 @ 11:29 AM

I would think applesauce wouldn’t work, but if you try it… let us know!

Lisa Cornely — January 30, 2013 @ 7:09 AM

I had never heard of them but am totally intrigued. I have to try these. They look like they have a crepe like texture and I love that. These are definitely on the list for this weekend.

Becky — January 30, 2013 @ 1:45 PM

Hmm think I would rather just eat a banana with peanut butter spread on it. Doesn’t look like it’s worth the bowl and pan clean-up! Give these babies a try – very tasty! http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/pittsburghs-finest-diner-pancakes-recipe

Meghan — January 30, 2013 @ 6:11 PM

What a clever idea! I normally eat eggs or a banana for breakfast so I might as well give this a try!

denise — February 2, 2013 @ 10:27 PM

Sorry, but for me these were pretty awful. I would rather have had a eggnog. Ugh.

Kate P — February 10, 2013 @ 7:30 AM

I took one banana and 2 eggs and tossed them into my bullet (processor), and then stirred in about 1/3 ground flax seed and maybe 1T of cinnamon before cooking. Used real butter instead of Pam, and topped with real maple syrup. These are pretty good. Definitely requires a ripe banana for sweetness.

Annmarie — March 2, 2013 @ 7:21 AM

These look amazing I’m trying them right now. :)

nahdeen — March 10, 2013 @ 4:35 PM

Mine fell apart, what did i do wrong?

Lori Lange — March 11, 2013 @ 7:04 AM

Not sure- they are a little tricky to flip as they are a thin consistency. You just have to be very careful.

Ashley — April 4, 2013 @ 4:51 PM

I’m on the 17 Day Diet…have a big sweet tooth…was dying for French Toast! This helped me stick to my diet (bananas are not for cycles 1 & 2, though, FYI). Yummy sub! (Found this on Pinterest). Thanks!!!

Asiya @ Chocolate and Chillies — April 6, 2013 @ 8:54 AM

Made these today and really enjoyed them! Topped them with maple syrup and added a tiny pinch of baking powder to the “batter”. Look forward to making them again…thanks for sharing!

Julie — April 9, 2013 @ 1:45 AM

I just made these and they turned out horrible, perhaps because I used an over-ripe banana. They were very watery and tasted like an omelet with a banana!

Patrick — April 18, 2013 @ 4:49 AM

The protein is in the white of an egg, not the yolk, so you don’t have to have the whole egg “for that added protein.”

Patrick — April 18, 2013 @ 4:56 AM

Never mind. The yolk contains half an egg’s protein apparently.

laura — May 19, 2013 @ 2:00 AM

I put a banana and an egg in a blender and mix for around 1-2 minutes until the ‘batter’ is all fluffy. The pancakes turn out great each time, just had some with peanut butter and raspberries. SO good!

Janet — May 24, 2013 @ 6:57 AM

Aren’t bananas a 0 WW point plus item as well as egg whites aldo being 0, if you choose to do that instead of the whole egg? Otherwise a whole egg is 2pp. I’m thinking this could basically be a free WW meal, not including whatever topping you choose. :)

Lori Lange — May 24, 2013 @ 8:47 AM

I thought w/ WW, when you’re combining things like that, you have to count some points. I’d ask a leader about it…

Holly — June 2, 2013 @ 12:10 PM

Those look delicious! Can they be stored in the freezer?
    or do they need to be eaten right away?

mycatsnameisbuddy — June 2, 2013 @ 12:38 PM

yummy looking!!!!!!!
    makes me REALLY hungry

Lori Lange — June 3, 2013 @ 4:59 PM

I’ve not tried freezing them, so I’m not sure!

Ruth — June 30, 2013 @ 7:07 PM

I did the mashed banana and whole egg and a little cinnamon. I let them cool and topped them with low fat vanilla yogurt fresh strawberries and blue berries.
    Delish!

Debbie picow — July 6, 2013 @ 6:20 AM

I made this but put one banana in blender with two eggs a little fat free half and half sons workout protein powder and made pancakes. He loved them and was happy it had protein. Next time I will use one egg

Nicolette Bharose — July 14, 2013 @ 6:10 AM

Can I bake these instead of frying?

Lori Lange — July 14, 2013 @ 11:39 AM

No idea- I’ve never tried to bake pancakes!

Harry — September 14, 2013 @ 6:47 PM

These are the worst pancakes I have ever had in my life they were hardly edible

paula — October 21, 2013 @ 9:22 AM

The first time I made these they weren’t very good, but I just mashed the bananas with a fork and stirred in the egg. This time I put them in the blender with a tbls. of milk and a little vanilla extract and they were so yummy. I used real butter to cook them and sprinkled a little cinnamon and honey on top :-) I just remembered I also put a tbls. Of wheat germ in the blender with it for extra iron. I think the blender is the key to them being good and not tasting like scrambled eggs with banana.

Kari — October 29, 2013 @ 10:36 AM

I love these pancakes, this week, I made these with 1/4 cup canned pumpkin (instead of banana), ground flax seed, vanilla, and cinnamon and it turned out great too! Just wanted to share

PW — November 2, 2013 @ 11:00 PM

If you want to use the yolks, mix them into the banana but whip the whites to soft peaks and fold into the batter at the end, immediately before frying. This is what I do with my buckwheat pancakes and it makes them very fluffy.

Lori Lange — November 3, 2013 @ 7:13 AM

Thanks for the tip!

sarah — November 3, 2013 @ 9:33 AM

you can also top them with some greek yogart and a drizzle of syrup or honey! … good stuff!!!

Stacey — January 15, 2014 @ 1:08 AM

I cant wait to try these for breakfast in the morning! I was thinking of adding a little bit of oats and cinnamon to the mix as well? Maybe ill try just one with banana and egg first and see how i like it =)

Ashling — January 23, 2014 @ 5:12 PM

I am obsessed with “protein pancakes” but if you’re going for 2 ingredients, egg beaters and a scoop of protein powder works best–I tried it with egg whites today because my grocery store ran out of egg beaters and there is a HUGE difference in consistency. Also, protein powder makes it even closer to the traditional batter-like consistency. So, as a protein pancake addict, I recommend starting with those 2 ingredients, then if you want to add mashed banana, oats, or other healthy additions, get creative!

Cissy — January 29, 2014 @ 5:52 AM

hello! that is such a greeeaaat idea!!!!
    I’m at the dorm of my college without measuring cups :( but i would love to do that!!
    may you please tell me how much bananas would approximately give me 1/2 a cup of well mashed bananas?

Lori Lange — January 29, 2014 @ 6:17 AM

You’re just going to have to eyeball it… maybe 1 really small banana.

debbie allen — February 22, 2014 @ 10:35 PM

i am gonna try this but i will add powdered peanut butter

Lori Lange — February 24, 2014 @ 5:09 PM

Interesting- I don’t know about powdered peanut butter!

Dave — March 8, 2014 @ 8:59 AM

Just so you know, the egg white is the only part that contains protein (albumin). The yolk is fat, not protein.

Lori Lange — March 10, 2014 @ 6:27 AM

yes, well it does contain some- and more! > One egg yolk has around 55 calories, 4.5 grams of total fat and 1.6 grams of saturated fat, 210 mg of cholesterol, 8 mg of sodium, and 2.7 grams of protein + fat-soluble vitamins, essential fatty acids and other nutrients.

Elsa — May 4, 2014 @ 1:58 AM

These turned out just perfect! I’ve added oats too yum! Thank you!

Camina — May 22, 2014 @ 10:53 AM

Thank you for sharing this great recipe. I was excited to try this recipe. I did however add a few ingredients to change it up a bit. By adding these ingredients it did add more ww points, but really was tasty. 1st I blended 1/2 c oatmeal to make a flour consistency, then added 1 banana, 2 egg whites, 1/4 c yogurt vanilla flavor, 1/4 c fat free milk. I blended it all in my bullet blender. Then poured on to hot griddle. I decided to make small pancakes but about eight or nine all together. They needed careful turning and I had to keep wiping my spatula, but other than that they were beautiful and tasted awesome! I topped it with some strawberries pureed in my bullet blender. Oh also peanut butter with the strawberry puree is awesome too! Without the peanut butter I think the ww points are just under 5 points. With peanut butter 3 more points.

Shiya — June 9, 2014 @ 9:54 AM

I was looking forward to this. However, when I made it, it turned out eggy like. Perhaps I will just use 1 egg instead of the suggested 2 eggs. Still tasted yummy though with homemade strawberry compote

vie ann — July 20, 2014 @ 8:44 AM

They look lovely!! Being these are gluten free, I’m obliged t try them. And share w others on Facebook.
    Nutritious too

Vie Ann

Rebecca W — July 24, 2014 @ 8:15 PM

Found your recipe on pinterest, tried it tonight and blogged about it. They were so amazing! I did whip mine together pretty good which I think made them a bit thicker or fluffy. They were a hit. Thank you for sharing!

Brigette — July 28, 2014 @ 9:07 AM

I enjoyed these pancakes. I will probably add some cinnamon and vanilla extract next time. I see that you have them listed as 3 pp.Wouldn’t it be 4pp since and an egg is 2pp?

Lori Lange — July 29, 2014 @ 11:49 AM

I used Spark People’s Recipe Calculator to figure calories, and I used an online WW calculator to figure out points. That’s what it came out to!