posted in 4th of July

Broccoli Slaw

This is a fabulous side dish salad to serve with grilled meats or pulled pork:  Broccoli Slaw

Broccoli Slaw

I have to admit.  I absolutely love this salad.  I mean… I really, really love it.  I tend to have an affinity for the sweeter things in life, and this slaw has a sweet and tangy dressing.  So for us sweets-lovers, this recipe is for us.  More things about this slaw that make it appealing:  it’s crunchy and colorful and delicious.

The Wellness Kitchen

The recipe comes from a cookbook I’ve been browsing lately:  The Wellness Kitchen: Fresh, Flavorful Recipes for a Healthier You by Paulette Lambert.  This is a cookbook that promises more than 100 recipes with wholesome and flavorful foods to incorporate into any diet.  You’ll find recipes in the book for all meals of the day.  I’m eyeing the following:  Blueberry- Banana Bran Muffins, Tabouleh Salad with Grilled Vegetables, Roasted Tomato Soup with Parmesan Crostini, Hoisin Salmon Burger with Ginger Aioli, Honey- Pecan Crusted Chicken, Sauteed Balsamic Brussels Sprouts, White Lasagna with Turkey Sausage and Deep Dish Apple Cobbler.  Yum, right??  The author also shares a 21-day food plan for health and weight loss, if you are interested.

Broccoli Slaw Recipe -
I served this slaw with some pulled pork sliders, and it was a big hit with my family.  We ate every nibble.  I’ll definitely be making this recipe again.

Yield: 8 servings

• 1/4 teaspoon pepper

• One 12-ounce bag broccoli slaw
  • 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
  • 1/2 cup chopped green onions
  • 1/3 cup raisins
  • 1/4 cup dry-roasted sunflower seeds

1. To make dressing, whisk together all ingredients in a medium bowl.
  2. Add slaw ingredients and toss to coat.  Make this salad a few hours before serving so the full flavor develops.

• This slaw can be kept up to 3 days in the refrigerator if you're lucky enough to have any left!
  • Nutritional information per serving (8 servings):  calories 121, fat 4.7g, sat fat .6g, cholesterol 1.1mg., sodium 276.2mg, carbohydrates 18.3g, fiber 3g, sugars 13.1g, protein 3g
  • Weight Watchers:  SmartPoints: 5, Points Plus: 3, Old Points Program: 2
SOURCE: (Reprinted with permission from The Wellness Kitchen: Fresh, Flavorful Recipes for a Healthier You by Paulette Lambert, RD, CDE: copyright 2015 by Westlake Wellbeing Properties, LLC)

More slaw recipes you might enjoy:

Disclosure:  There are Amazon affiliate links included within this post.

18 Responses to “Broccoli Slaw”

1. postedFeb 25, 2015 4:35 AM

I could eat broccoli slaw or broccoli salad for ALL THE MEALS. It’s so creamy, and full of fresh texture! I’ve definitely never had one with peas or Tabasco (love the spice!) so I gotta get my face on a bowl of this. Pinned!

2. postedFeb 25, 2015 5:02 AM

Broccoli slaw is one of my favorite salads!! Definitely a party pleaser. And this recipe is definitely popping onto my dinner rotation soon!!

3. postedFeb 25, 2015 5:32 AM

I’m all over this one! Yum!

4. postedFeb 25, 2015 6:29 AM

This is my kind of salad and I could have it all to myself!

5. postedFeb 25, 2015 7:14 AM

This looks and sounds amazing! I’m a huge fan of broccoli salad and this is just like that only it uses that convenient bagged broccoli slaw! I can’t wait to make this one !

6. postedFeb 25, 2015 12:05 PM

We have been making Broccoli Slaw for a number of years with a recipe from the back of the slaw mix bag. Though you might like to try it out.

We make this for cookouts and it is usually the first side dish to disappear. Broccoli Cole Slaw
    2 bags (3 oz.) Top Ramen Noodle Soup in Oriental (other flavors work, too),
    ¾ stick butter, ¼ cup slivered almonds, 2 bags (12 oz.) bags broccoli cole slaw (in the bagged salad section in produce), ¼ cup sunflower seeds, Dusting of garlic powder, Dusting of onion powder, Fresh ground black pepper to taste
    Dressing Mix:
    ¾ cup canola oil, ¼ cup brown sugar, ¼ cup apple cider vinegar, 2 tbsp. soy sauce, 1 ramen noodle seasoning packet
    1. Put the ramen noodles in a bag and crush them with a rolling pin while melting butter in a large skillet over low/medium heat.
    2. Add the crushed noodles and slivered almonds to the skillet and sauté, stirring occasionally (keep temperature at low/medium heat).
    3. Meanwhile, whisk together all the dressing ingredients in a small bowl.
    4. Place the shredded broccoli into bowl and toss with the noodles, almonds and sunflower seeds.
    5. Dust coat slaw with onion and garlic powders and season with fresh pepper and toss to evenly coat.
    6. Pour dressing over salad and toss to coat.
    7. Garnish with chopped green onions, (optional).

Hope you like it as much as we do.

• February 25th, 2015 @ 3:17 PM

Thanks for sharing- must try it!

7. postedFeb 25, 2015 12:12 PM

This looks so good! Raisins were meant to be in salads 🙂

8. postedFeb 25, 2015 1:31 PM

I love broccoli slaw and it’s nice that this one is on the lighter side and looks so healthy and there’s barely any mayo. Looks perfect!

And your site makeover looks awesome! Congrats 🙂

9. postedFeb 25, 2015 6:00 PM

Broccoli Slaw is a family favorite and we must try this recipe soon, Lori! I love the addition of the peas and the Dijon. I’m also loving your blog redesign. 🙂 Beautiful, girl! xo

10. postedFeb 26, 2015 5:29 PM

I’ve always loved broccoli salad, too, but I don’t make it nearly enough! Thanks for the reminder 🙂

11. postedFeb 27, 2015 9:39 AM

Delicious! I’m always looking for new ways to make vegetables! I’m going to give this recipe try!

12. postedFeb 27, 2015 10:15 AM

I’m always wondering what to do with broccoli slaw. I’ll have to try this recipe! Pretty photos, Lori!

13. postedMar 1, 2015 5:05 PM
    Sandy T

LOVE IT!!  just made this tonight.  I made it exactly as the recipe stated except I used siracha instead of the tabasco and edemame instead of the peas.  It was soooo delicious !  I will definitely keep this recipe and make it many more times!

• March 2nd, 2015 @ 2:36 PM

love those changes!

14. postedMar 30, 2015 12:51 PM

I don’t see the point of adding peas to this salad.

• April 8th, 2015 @ 5:19 PM

um, well… I guess you could leave them out if it seems unappealing to you, but we loved peas in this salad!

15. postedDec 28, 2015 4:24 PM
    Liliana B.

It had too much Apple cider vinegar for my taste. I think I’ll add less next time.  Thank you for sharing your recipe. 🙂