These Butternut Squash Fries with chili salt and a maple cream dipping sauce are a fun side dish or snack!
Sometimes you’re just craving French fries. And that’s okay! Eat all the fries you want. But if you’re craving fries too much, then that may be a little too much for your body. Butternut squash fries are the answer! These roasted veggies get a little bit crispy when they’re baked in the oven. They’re coated with a little bit of spice, and the dipping sauce is pretty good too. These are great alternative fries!
- butternut squash
- extra virgin olive oil
- crème fraîche or sour cream
- maple syrup
- kosher salt
- ground cumin
- chili powder
- lime wedges
How to make Butternut Squash Fries:
The full, printable recipe is at the end of this post. Preheat your oven to 425°F, and line a baking sheet with foil.
In a small bowl, stir together the crème fraîche (or sour cream) and maple syrup. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Cut the squash into ½-inch-wide sticks about 3 to 4 inches long. In a large bowl, toss the squash with the olive oil. Spread the squash in a single layer on a foil-lined baking sheet.
Roast the butternut squash fries until golden and tender when pierced with a knife, about 35 minutes.
Recipes for Fries:
- Sweet Potato Fries
- In-n-Out Animal Style Fries
- Thick Cut Oven Roasted Fries
- Yucca Fries with Cilantro Mayonnaise
Butternut Squash Fries with Chili Salt and Maple Cream
- 2 pounds butternut squash, halved lengthwise, seeded and peeled
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup crème fraîche or sour cream
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 2 medium limes, cut into wedges
FOR THE SQUASH:
- Preheat oven to 425°F and line a baking sheet with foil.
- Cut the squash into ½-inch-wide sticks about 3 to 4 inches long. In a large bowl, toss the squash with the olive oil. Spread the squash in a single layer on a foil-lined baking sheet and roast until golden and tender when pierced with a knife, about 35 minutes.
PREPARE MAPLE CREAM AND SERVE:
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir together the crème fraîche and maple syrup.
- In another bowl, combine the salt, cumin and chili powder. Sprinkle some of the seasoned salt on the squash fries and serve with the maple cream, remaining seasoned salt and lime wedges.