This Chili Shrimp Dip has been a favorite of mine since the early 80’s. It’s a creamy, cold dip with shrimp and artichoke hearts, plus a little chili sauce to spice things up a bit.
When I was in college, I started collecting recipes. I’d cut them from magazines, copy them from cookbooks and ask friends and relatives to share their favorites with me. I was so obsessed with recipes that I started putting them in individual binders by category. I found myself with hundreds and hundreds of recipes, and I loved trying them out on my friends at our college party gatherings.
This Shrimp Dip was one of the appetizer recipes that was popular at my parties. It’s a super easy dip to make because there is no cooking involved. You simply combine all of the ingredients, refrigerate, and serve the dip with crackers or baguette slices. It’s a good appetizer to make if you’re not so experienced in the kitchen, but it’s gourmet enough to serve if you are a good cook too!
What ingredients do you need for Shrimp Dip?
Chopped artichoke hearts and canned shrimp make up the bulk of this dip. The artichoke hearts and shrimp are combined with mayonnaise and sour cream. Grated onion, chili sauce and horseradish add great flavor to the dip. Paprika, Tabasco, Worcestershire sauce and salt round out the ingredients needed for the dip. You’ll just mix all of that stuff together and refrigerate it until well-chilled.
I happen to love this Shrimp Dip when spread onto slices of baguette. It’s good when served with crackers too. If you’re eating low-carb, you can dip celery sticks in this dip instead of bread or crackers.
Can Shrimp Dip be made ahead?
Yes! This dip will taste best when you’re able to chill it for several hours to give the flavors a chance to meld. Just put some plastic wrap over it and take it out of the refrigerator when you’re ready to serve.
Here are a few more dip recipes you might enjoy:
- Blue Cheese Dip
- Hot Chicken Enchilada Dip
- Beer and Bacon Dip
- Warm Bacon Cheddar Dip
- Curry Dill Dip
- Mexican Cheese Dip
- Hot Reuben Dip
- Pepperoni Dip
Chili Shrimp Dip
- One 14-ounce can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- One 6-ounce can shrimp, drained and crumbled
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons finely grated yellow onion
- 3 teaspoons chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon horseradish
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- dash of Tabasco sauce
- dash of Worcestershire sauce
- crackers and/or baguette slices, for serving
- In a medium bowl, combine all of the ingredients and mix well. Sprinkle with paprika for a decorative touch. Refrigerate at least 2 hours until ready to serve.
- Serve with crackers or crusty baguette slices.
- *It's okay to use low fat mayonnaise and low fat sour cream, if you'd like.
- *Chili sauce is a bottled item near the ketchup and sauce products in your grocery store.
- *If you are preparing this as GLUTEN-FREE, just be sure to use brands of mayo, Worcestershire sauce and chili sauce that are known to be GF.