Here’s an Easy Creamed Spinach recipe!
If you are a fan of creamed spinach, you’ll love this recipe. It turns out perfect!
What is Creamed Spinach?
It’s basically cooked spinach that is combined with a creamy, cheesy sauce. It’s a way more decadent way to eat spinach for sure. This is a way to prepare spinach that perhaps originated in the Southern part of the United States at some point. Every family has their favorite way to make it. Ruth Chris Steakhouse famously has a version of creamed spinach that is very popular at their restaurant.
Some people out there are pretty clear that they don’t like spinach. I’m one of those people. But add a bunch of cheesy goodness to it, and I’ll eat it. Creamed spinach is quite delicious.
Sometimes you’ll see it on restaurant menus- especially at good steakhouses. That makes this spinach recipe an excellent accompaniment to steak!
Give this recipe a try and let me know how it goes!
Here are a few more recipes using spinach that you might like to try:
- Lemon Thyme Spinach
- Spinach with Orzo and Feta
- Chicken and Spinach Enchiladas
- How to Make Spinach Pasta
- Spinach with Olives, Raisins and Pine Nuts
- Spinach Balls
- White Pesto Spinach Lasagna
- Spinach and Sundried Tomato Puff Pastry Pinwheels
Easy Creamed Spinach
- 2 pounds fresh spinach leaves
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- ½ medium onion, minced
- 4 medium garlic cloves, minced
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cut into pieces
- ½ cup milk
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the spinach and cook just until wilted, about 1 minute. Drain in a colander; rinse with cold water until cool. Squeeze the spinach to remove as much liquid as possible; coarsely chop, and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, heat the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion softens, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the cream cheese and milk; cook, stirring, until the cream cheese is melted and smooth. Stir in the spinach. Simmer over medium heat until the mixture thickens, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the nutmeg; season with salt and pepper.
- Using reduced-fat cream cheese and low fat milk is perfectly okay.
- For bulk amounts of spinach, it will be cheapest at a store like Costco.
This recipe was a lot easier than others I have seen on pinterest, and with fewer ingredients! My family enjoyed this creamed spinach with steak and mashed potatoes. Everyone loved it! Thank you for this new family favorite!
Great recipe! Tasted so fresh! I may try again with frozen chopped spinach, only because it would be so much cheaper, but I doubt it will taste as good as with fresh. Very easy, very good!