I’m happy to introduce to you a cocktail I sampled while on vacation this summer: the Grapefruit Crush
Crush Cocktail History:
This Grapefruit Crush cocktail is crazy, all-over-the-place in Baltimore, Maryland and surrounding areas. How did crush cocktails become so popular in Baltimore? It mimics the very popular Orange Crush cocktail recipe that has its origins on the Maryland shores- specifically at the Harborside Bar and Grill in Ocean City, Maryland. It all began with the ORANGE Crush (orange vodka, triple sec, orange juice and Sprite). The Crush trend took off and eventually settled in to Baltimore as the city’s featured cocktail.
Crushes of all flavors have maneuvered their way into the city of Baltimore, and you’ll see them on the menu at every bar. Nowadays, you’ll see variations such as Bourbon Crushes, Lemonade Crushes, Pineapple Crushes and more. The Grapefruit Crush seems to be a popular favorite. What they all have in common is using freshly squeezed juice. These days, a lot of people like to make the skinny version of the crush cocktail– using club soda in place of 7-up or Sprite.
My son attended a lacrosse camp at Goucher college in Towson a few weeks ago, and my husband and I stayed in the inner harbor area of Baltimore. We loved exploring the area (though it was extremely hot and humid!) Our hotel concierge suggested we try the crush cocktails, so we sought them out and gave them a shot. I tried a peach crush and a grapefruit crush. The grapefruit was my favorite!
The bartender at the Four Seasons pool bar schooled me on how to make a Grapefruit Crush. Of course, I had to make them at home and recreate Baltimore’s beloved drink. It’s a great summer cocktail!
Here are a few more grapefruit cocktail recipes you might enjoy:
- Sea Breeze Cocktail
- Frozen Rosé Grapefruit Cocktail
- Ruby Sunset Cocktail
- Citrus Margaritas
- Grapefruit Salty Dog
- Paloma Cocktail
- ice cubes
- 2 tablespoons grapefruit juice (a shot glass full or more)
- 2 tablespoons grapefruit vodka (a shot glass full or more)
- 2 tablespoons triple sec (a shot glass full or more)
- splash of 7-Up or Sprite (about 1/4 cup)
- grapefruit wedge, for garnish
- Place ice cubes in a glass.
- Add grapefruit juice, vodka triple sec. Exact measurement doesn't really matter (you just want to make sure you add an equal amount of each). Add a splash of 7-Up or Sprite. Give it a stir and garnish with a grapefruit wedge.