This Mexican Black Bean and Sausage Chili has its own homemade (easy) sausage tucked inside of it.
Mexican Black Bean and Sausage Chili
Prep Time:40 minutes + overnight in fridge
Cook Time:1 hour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 2 teaspoons ancho chile powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- dash of kosher salt
- 1/2 pound lean ground pork (96% lean)
- 1/2 pound ground turkey breast (99% lean)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups diced onion (about 2 medium)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon finely minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 whole chipotle chile in adobo sauce, minced (add more if you prefer spicy)
- Four 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed and drained, divided
- 2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth, divided
- Two 14.5-ounce cans no salt-added diced tomatoes (do not drain)
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 cup very finely chopped cilantro, divided
- To prepare sausage, combine first 12 ingredients in a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- To prepare chili, heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add sausage mixture; cook 7 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Add onion, 1 tablespoon cumin, 1 tablespoon garlic, 2 teaspoons oregano, and chiles; cook 4 minutes or until onion is tender. Place 1 1/2 cups black beans and 1 cup broth in a food processor; process until smooth. Add pureed beans, remaining beans, remaining 1 cup broth and tomatoes to pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, partially covered, 45 minutes or until slightly thick. Stir in juice and cilantro.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with sour cream, shredded cheese and chopped green onions, if desired.
- If you are preparing this recipe as GLUTEN-FREE, just be sure to use brands of chipotles, beans and chicken broth that are known to be GF.
- Of course, you can always cheat a bit and purchase pre-made ground sausage, but this sausage is so full of flavor we don't recommend it!
- Chipotle chiles in adobo sauce are found canned in your markets Latin food section. Chop up ONE of these chiles to put in this chili. They are spicy... so if you add more, be careful!
- You may need to thin the chili with water if you've made it ahead.
- Nutritional Information per serving (Serving size: 1/6th of the recipe)
- Calories 356, Fat 7.5g, Saturated Fat 1.5g, Sugar 7.37g, Fiber 15.5g, Protein 28.29g, Cholesterol 37.04mg, Carbohydrates 45.5g
- Weight Watchers POINTS per serving:
- SmartPoints: 9, Points Plus: 8, Old Points Program: 8.5