Having a big tub of Three Bean and Beef Chili around during the week is a great thing. It makes for a very filling and nutritious lunch!
Three Bean and Beef Chili
Prep Time:30 minutes
Cook Time:60 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium red or green bell pepper, diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 medium carrots, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 pound extra- lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 1 canned chipotle chile in adobo sauce, seeded & minced
- 2 teaspoons adobo sauce from the can of chipotles
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can kidney beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can pinto beans, drained & rinsed
- Heat oil in large pot or Dutch oven over moderate heat. Add the onion, bell pepper and carrots, cover and cook, stirring occasionally until the vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add cumin and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add ground beef; raise the heat to high and cook, breaking up the meat with a spoon, until the meat is no longer pink. Stir in the tomatoes, water, chipotle and adobo sauce, oregano and salt and pepper. Cook, partially covered, stirring from time to time, for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the beans and continue cooking, partially covered, 20 minutes longer. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
- To prepare this recipe as GLUTEN FREE, just be sure to use a brand of Chipotles in Adobo Sauce that is designated as GF (La Costena brand is GF) and beans that are GF.
- Nutritional Information per serving (Serving size: 1 1/4 cups) Calories: 311, Fat: 9g, Saturated Fat: 3g, Sugar: 3.14g, Fiber: 11.62g, Protein: 22.5g, Cholesterol: 36.85mg, Carbohydrates: 26g
- Weight Watchers POINTS: SmartPoints: 7, PointsPlus: 6, Old Points Program: 8