Having a big tub of Three Bean and Beef Chili around during the week is a great thing. It makes for a very filling and nutritious lunch!
This delicious chili recipe makes enough to enjoy leftovers. Make a big pot of three bean and beef chili at the beginning of the week (or on the weekend), and you can enjoy it all week for lunch. Or make it for a cozy dinner, and leftovers the next day will be a bonus!
- olive oil
- chopped onion
- chopped green bell pepper
- chopped carrot
- ground cumin
- ground beef
- canned crushed tomatoes
- canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- dried oregano
- salt and pepper
- canned black, kidney and pinto beans
How to make Three Bean and Beef Chili:
The complete, printable recipe with ingredient amounts and instructions is included at the end of this post.
In a big pot, heat the oil and sauté onion, bell pepper and carrots until softened. Add ground cumin and ground beef, and cook until the beef is no longer pink.
Stir in tomatoes, water, chipotle chiles, oregano and salt/pepper. Simmer for 30 minutes.
Stir in the beans, and cook for 20 more minutes. Taste, and add salt/pepper, as needed.
What do you serve with chili?
My family likes chili with our favorite green chile cornbread and avocado pine nut salad. That’s makes it a complete and wonderful dinner. Some folks like to eat their chili with crackers or a good hunk of sourdough bread.
Garnish individual bowls of three bean and beef chili with shredded cheese and sliced jalapeño. I like to add a little sour cream too!
Here are a few more chili recipes you might like to try:
- Ina Garten’s Chicken Chili
- Beef and Dark Beer Chili
- Turkey Poblano White Bean Chili
- Confetti Chili
- All American Chili
Three Been and Beef Chili
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium red or green bell pepper, diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 medium carrots, diced (about ½ cup)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 pound extra-lean ground beef (90% lean)
- One 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 1 whole canned chipotle chile in adobo sauce, seeded and minced
- 2 teaspoons adobo sauce from the can of chipotles
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- One 15.5 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- One 15.5 ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- One 15.5 ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- Heat the oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over moderate heat. Add the onion, bell pepper and carrots. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are soft- about 10 minutes.
- Add the cumin and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the ground beef; raise the heat to high and cook, breaking up the meat with a spoon, until the meat is no longer pink. Stir in the tomatoes, water, chipotle and adobo sauce, oregano and salt and pepper. Cook, partially covered, stirring from time to time, for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the beans and continue cooking, partially covered, 20 minutes longer. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
- To prepare this recipe as GLUTEN FREE, just be sure to use a brand of Chipotles in Adobo Sauce that is designated as GF (La Costena brand is GF) and beans that are GF.