This is a very unique and flavorful Vegetarian Chili recipe with lots of spices, beans, dill and lemon juice.
Prep Time:20 minutes
Cook Time:1 hour
- 4 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 2 medium zucchini, diced
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 large red bell peppers, diced
- One 35-ounce can Italian plum tomatoes, with juice
- 2 medium vine-ripened tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- One 15-ounce can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- One 15-ounce can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese
- 4 green onions, sliced on the diagonal
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add zucchini and sauté until just tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer zucchini to a large pot.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in the skillet over low heat. Add onions, garlic and bell peppers. Sauté just until wilted (about 10 minutes). Transfer the mixture to the large pot, along with the oil remaining in the skillet.
- Place a large pot over low heat. Add the tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, basil, oregano, pepper, salt, fennel seed and parsley. Cook, uncovered, stirring often, for 30 minutes. Stir in the beans, dill and lemon juice, and cook for another 15 minutes. Stir well and add additional seasoning as need to taste.
- Serve in hearty mugs or bowls, and garnish with sour cream, cheese and green onions.
- If preparing this recipe as GLUTEN-FREE, just be sure that the brand of beans you're using is known to be GF.
- If preparing this recipe as DAIRY-FREE or VEGAN, leave off the sour cream and cheese.