There are a lot of really great flavors happening in this Texas Chili recipe:
Prep Time: 30 minutes + soak time
Cook Time: 1 hour and 15 minutes
- 1 pound dried kidney beans
- 3 pounds ground beef
- One 28-ounce can chopped tomatoes, with juice
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped and browned
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin seed
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon tabasco sauce
- 2 small jalapeños, seeded and finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup golden raisins (optional)
- Soak the beans in water for 24 hours. Change the water after 12 hours.
- In a large sauté pan, brown the meat and onions over medium heat. Drain the fat.
- Add the spices to the meat and mix well.
- In a large pot, pour in the jalapeños, tomatoes and wine. Add the meat mixture and stir to combine. Cook over low heat for 1 hour. Stir in the brown sugar. Add the beans, and cook until tender. Add the raisins, if desired.