Here’s the classic Pea Salad recipe that everyone loves to see at a party!
I’ve always been fond of peas. They’re the little frozen vegetable I’ve always enjoyed eating. Add a little butter and salt, and peas are sweet and good to go. They’re pretty good in a salad too. The nice thing about putting them in a salad is that they don’t even have to be cooked! You’ve probably seen pea salads like this before. They’re often at potlucks, and you see them on buffet lines. It’s such an easy salad to make yourself though. And it’s so good!
Ingredients needed for Pea Salad:
Sour cream, mayonnaise, white vinegar and salt/pepper make up the creamy dressing for the pea salad. The salad itself calls for frozen peas, crumbled bacon, chunks of cheddar cheese, red onion and chopped parsley. That’s it! It’s such a simple salad.
The main ingredients are combined. Note about the cheese: you can either cut it into chunks or shred it. I prefer it chunky!
And then the dressing is mixed in.
Pea salad is best when made-ahead, covered and refrigerated for at least a couple of hours. This gives the peas time to thaw, and the flavors a chance to meld. Make this for your next party. Everyone always loves a classic pea salad!
Here are a few more recipes featuring peas that you might like to try:
- Sauteed Peas with Basil and Bacon
- Tortellini, Peas and Asparagus with Creamy Tarragon Sauce
- Three Pea Stir Fry
- Creamed Peas and Pearl Onions
- Sweet Pea Crostini with Prosciutto
- Shiitake and Sweet Pea Risotto
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 cups frozen peas
- 8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 6 ounces cheddar cheese, cubed
- 1/2 small red onion, peeled and sliced thin
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
PREPARE THE DRESSING:
- In a small bowl, combine the dressing ingredients. Season with salt and pepper.
PREPARE THE SALAD:
- In a medium bowl, combine the peas, bacon, cheese, red onion and parsley. Stir to combine. Add the dressing and stir to coat. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- If you are preparing this recipe as GLUTEN-FREE, just be sure to use brands of mayonnaise and bacon that are known to be GF.