These Skinny Chimichangas are a GREAT light Mexican recipe for those watching their waistlines.
I first made this recipe almost ten years ago when I was following the very old Weight Watchers program. Back in those days, you had to count points for every single thing you put in your mouth. It was a lot harder to keep track, and a lot more difficult to follow the program.
These days, you can eat so many more things! I think the Weight Watchers people have done a ton of research and have figured out that healthier-type foods shouldn’t need to be “counted” into your daily totals. If you happen to be following the Weight Watchers WW plan, you’ll find a link to the WW Points on the recipe card at the end of this post.
This dinner recipe is terrific – even if you’re not following any type of weight loss program. A classic chimichanga is deep fried, and the filling contains rice and meats. In this recipe, the chimichangas are baked, and the filling is made with lean ground turkey, a lightly spiced sauce, and low fat cheese. The tortillas called for in this recipe are fat free, but you can certainly use regular flour tortillas if you don’t care about that.
It’s a great way to enjoy comfort food (Mexican food!) that you’re craving when you’re trying to eat light. You can still enjoy it– pretty much guilt-free!
Top these Skinny Chimichangas with your favorite fixings, of course. I love to add a little bit of salsa and sour cream on top. My family loves chopped avocado too! Enjoy!
Favorite Skinny Recipes:
- Skinny Chocolate- Caramel Banana Bread
- Skinny Cheeseburger Casserole
- Weight Watchers Skinny Chicken Spaghetti
- Skinny Taco Pizza
- Skinny Ice Cocktails
- 8 ounces 99% lean ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- One 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped mild green chiles
- ⅓ cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Four 8-inch low carb flour tortillas
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Spray a nonstick baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- Spray a nonstick skillet with nonstick spray; set over medium-high heat. Add the turkey, onion, garlic, chili powder, oregano and cumin. Cook, breaking up the turkey with a wooden spoon until browned, about 6 minutes. Stir in the tomato sauce and chiles; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until the flavors are blended and the mixture thickens slightly, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the cheddar.
- Meanwhile, wrap the tortillas in foil and place in the oven to warm for 10 minutes.
- Spoon about ½ cup of the filling into the center of each tortilla. Fold in the sides, then roll to enclose the filling. Place the chimichangas, seam-side down, on the baking sheet. Lightly spray the tops of the tortillas with nonstick spray. Bake until golden and crisp, about 20 minutes. Do not turn.
- Top these chimichangas with your favorite salsa, sour cream and guacamole for extra calories (of course).
Could you use lean ground beef instead?
1/29/2013. I just calculated the point value for the blue plan: 3
Looks yummy! What’s the point value? Lots of recipes now have a link to your WW app that will calculate the point value for you. I can’t find it here. Is that available?
It’s on my list to do this!
Could you adapt this for an air fryer?
You could certainly experiment with that!
We really enjoy these and have made them several times. I prep the meat in a skillet and warm the tortillas in the microwave. After filling the tortillas, I heat the chimichangas in the air fryer set on 375 until the cheese melts and they get nice and toasty.
Is this 4 chimichangas… One serving?!
There are 4 servings- one chimichanga is one serving.
Cooked tonight! Very easy and delicious.
So yummy! The perfect dinner idea!
I love how these are guilt free! Can’t wait to try it.
How many points per serving is this recipe
I’m not sure– there is a new program, so you will need to input the ingredients into their calculator and see how many points come up for your plan.
Thank you, thank you, thank you for helping me satisfy my craving for chimichangas without undoing all of the hardwork I’ve been putting in to my diet. Loved it!
Yum! These are amazing!
This is the best way to have a quick lunch! Love the turkey in these chimichangas! Just perfect!
This recipe is 3 points per serving in 2023 WW plan.
Hi, can this recipe be modified to use rotisserie chicken and refried beans?
Probably! Give it a try!
This is a favorite with my family! We use shredded chicken and add beans and a little rice ( more points) . Delicious and filling!