Sweet Chili Glazed Chicken Wings are an easy to make wings recipe.
This Sweet Chili Glazed Chicken Wings recipe is so good it can be served up as dinner on top of some freshly steamed rice or as an appetizer eaten all on their own. They have a sweet flavor with just a tiny bit of spice. The recipe makes a platter of wings that is perfect for sharing between four people. You may wish to double (or triple) the recipe if you are having a party.
How to make Sweet Chili Glazed Chicken Wings:
Since chicken wings are usually sold “uncut” with a wing and a leg attached, you’ll want to cut each one. There are several helpful tutorials online that can help you cut them properly. You’ll end up with a wingette and a drumette to use in your recipe (and you’ll discard the tips).
Next you’ll marinate the chicken wings in a simple, homemade marinade. Then the marinade is drained and they are baked in the oven. Finally, a glaze is cooked on the stovetop, and the baked wings are tossed with the glaze before serving.
Sweet Chili Glazed Chicken Wings don’t need much added to them for serving. In fact, they’re perfect eaten on their own without any adornment. But since people like it when things are pretty, I have a couple of suggestions for garnishes. Thinly sliced green onions and a sprinkle of sesame seeds are just enough to give it a dash of pizzazz for serving.
This recipe comes from an old Bon Appetit magazine. My husband says these wings are “restaurant quality,” which is his way of saying that they’re really, really good. It may seem like an odd choice to make chicken wings for dinner, but we’ve done it (served over rice), and it’s a delicious option! We’ve also shared these with friends, and have gotten rave reviews. Enjoy!
Here are a few more chicken appetizer recipes you might like to try:
- Hot Chicken Enchilada Dip
- Buffalo Chicken Wonton Cups
- Chicken and Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms
- Baked Southwest Chicken Egg Rolls
- Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe
- Polynesian Chicken Wings
- Baked Honey BBQ Chicken Bites
Sweet Chili Glazed Chicken Wings
- 2 pounds chicken wings
- 1/4 cup peanut oil
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped green onions
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2½ tablespoons minced garlic, divided
- 2 tablespoons minced ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper, divided
- 1 cup rice vinegar
- 3/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon chili garlic sauce
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions, for garnish (optional)
- sesame seeds, for garnish (optional)
- Cut each chicken wing in half at the joint. In a large bowl, combine the oil, green onions, soy sauce, 2 tablespoons garlic, ginger and 1/4 teaspoon red pepper. Add the chicken wings and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Using tongs, transfer the chicken wings to a large baking sheet. Bake until cooked through and golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, combine the vinegar, sugar, water, chili garlic sauce, remaining 1/2 tablespoon garlic and remaining 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until the glaze mixture thickens to a syrup consistency, about 40 minutes.
- Transfer the baked chicken wings to a large bowl. Pour the glaze over; toss to coat. Transfer the chicken wings to a platter. Sprinkle with green onions.