MUSHROOM VEGGIE BURGERS
1 Tbs olive oil
1½ cups moderately, finely chopped yellow onion (about 1 large onion)
3 small garlic cloves, finely minced
4 cups coarsely chopped portobello mushrooms (about 2 large mushrooms)
¼ tsp salt
1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 cup Italian-flavored breadcrumbs
2 large egg whites
buns and condiments of your choice
1. Heat olive oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over moderately high heat for 1 minute. Add chopped onion and garlic and sauté, stirring occasionally, until limp and golden- about 3 minutes.
2. Add mushrooms and sauté, stirring now and then, until mushrooms soften and brown- about 4 minutes. Transfer mushroom mixture to a large bowl and cool 10 minutes.
3. Using wooden spoon, mix salt, pepper and bread crumbs into mushroom mixture. Add egg whites and mix thoroughly.
4. Scoop up mixture by ½-cup measure, then using hands, shape into four patties about ¾-inch-thick.
5. Wipe out skillet, spray with nonstick spray, and set over moderate heat. Add patties and brown about 3 minutes on each side.
6. Serve on buns and add desired condiments.
buns and condiments of your choice are not included in nutritional information
Amount Per Serving
Calories From Fat (17%) 52
Total Fat 6.02g
Saturated Fat 1.01g
Dietary Fiber 9.18g
Net Carbohydrates 41.34g
WW Points 7.5
Recipe Source: Good Morning America’s Cut the Calories Cookbook