Corn Dog Muffins

Yield: 24 mini muffins

Prep Time: 15 min

Cook Time: 10 min

Corn Dog Muffins

I'm sure you're thinking that this one is for the kids, but you just might find yourself dipping into these too! They're a little bit addicting, especially if you use a good cornbread mix! For testing purposes, I used a box of Trader Joe's cornbread mix & then followed the instructions in the "Tips" below... no additional sugar needed. They were delicious as is.

2 (8.5 ounce) packages corn bread mix
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
9 whole hot dogs, diced
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
ketchup, mustard, sour cream, honey mustard (for dipping)

1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly grease mini muffin tins.

2. In a large bowl, stir together cornbread mix and brown sugar. In a small bowl whisk together eggs and milk, and then stir into dry mixture until moistened. Mix in hot dogs and cheese.

3. Spoon a good Tablespoonful into muffin tins, making sure you get some hot dog in each spoonful.

4. Bake 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden brown. Let cool for about 10-15 minutes in the pan before removing. For easy removal, cut around outsides of the muffins, then tip upside down onto a large cutting board & urge the muffins out using a knife to tap the bottoms of the muffin tins. They should slide right out.

5. Serve warm with desired dipping sauces.

*Alternately, you can use your favorite cornbread mix, follow the instructions on the box, add in 1 cup of cheddar cheese and mix in chopped hot dogs too. If your favorite cornbread mix doesn't have a sweet element to it, add in 2 Tbsp. brown sugar.
*You can use paper liners if you'd like.

27 Responses to “Corn Dog Muffins”

1. postedApr 13, 2010 8:53 AM

Interesting, in a very good way. I can’t wait to try these. Trader Joe’s has the best cornbread mix!

2. postedJan 25, 2011 11:15 AM
    Relina - Recipe Test

I am so excited to make this one! My son’s birthday is coming up and he requested Mac n Cheese with Bacon but he also loves Corn Dogs…he’s going to have a fabulous birthday dinner!

3. postedJan 30, 2011 4:58 PM

You are killing me with these. Love hot dogs & carbs – would be very difficult to share these muffins.

4. postedJun 10, 2011 4:08 PM

This is great! Love corn dogs, love muffins, love this recipe! I just posted a hot dog recipe today and linked back to this one in the post. It’s so creative!

• June 10th, 2011 @ 6:18 PM

Ah, sweet- thanks!

5. postedSep 2, 2011 6:28 AM

Ahhh!! These are so cute! I bet I could add some jalapenos to half the batch and give it a wee spicy kick. Mmmm, these look great, can’t wait to try them!!

6. postedSep 3, 2011 11:05 AM

This is now on my to-do list. You might want to edit it, however, to include the step of adding the hot dogs to the batter.

7. postedSep 4, 2011 6:28 AM

These are so yummy! Just made them for a BBQ today and of course had to “taste test” one! Yummy! My son will love them and I hope others at the BBQ do too!

Thank you!

8. postedSep 21, 2011 6:21 AM

Such a clever idea! I pinned it so I remember to try it with my son.

9. postedSep 29, 2011 5:23 PM

These sound good. Did you use 2 TJ boxes or one? And if you use another brand, is that only one box?

• September 29th, 2011 @ 5:40 PM

Whatever adds up to about 17 ounces worth of mix should be fine. The recipe is referring to those little boxes of Jiffy cornbread that are super tiny. Otherwise, a regular-sized mix should be just right.

10. postedOct 27, 2011 9:21 AM

11. postedFeb 3, 2012 9:00 AM

These look insanely delicious. I’m going to have to make a GF version stat. I miss corndogs. =))))

12. postedFeb 22, 2012 7:07 AM

Will these freeze well??????

• February 23rd, 2012 @ 6:11 AM

I haven’t frozen them, but I would guess so. You’d need to defrost them in the refrigerator though because of the hot dogs.

13. postedMar 8, 2012 2:25 PM
    Mariette Visser

Hi Lori!
    I live in Cape Town, South Africa and we don’t have cornbread mixes in our stores. Do you have a recipe that I can make from scratch? We have only 1 small little shop that make real corn dogs (that I know of) and we love them! But it is a long drive to get there. These little corn dog muffins would be a real treat for my boys!
    Thank you for all your lovely recipes!

• March 8th, 2012 @ 3:37 PM

oddly enough, I don’t have a plain cornbread recipe on my site (guess what I’ll be doing real soon!?). But if you find a basic cornbread recipe on Allrecipes or something similar, you can just add in the cheese and hot dogs to create muffins.

14. postedMar 11, 2012 9:03 AM

I made these today, simply because I live in the UK and if you ask for a corn dog people look at you like you have two heads! Can’t get cornbread mix either, so I simply used my fav recipe for cornbread (I used the Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook version) and then added the hot dogs and cheese. I also wanted it to taste more like a corn dog, so I decided to cook them like you would corn sticks. I put oil in the bottom of the muffin pan, put it in a very hot oven until the oil was smoking, then added the batter to the hot oil. This made them crisp and browned on the outside, and even more like a corn dog. Thanks for the recipe!

• March 12th, 2012 @ 9:02 AM

Great tips!

15. postedMar 13, 2012 8:18 AM

Love these! My husband made these for a 40th Birthday party we went to. They were a hit!! We offered a bottle of mustard to squirt on them. They tasted just like corndogs. He used the Trader Joe’s mix. Also added just a touch of cayenne.

16. postedApr 5, 2012 6:56 AM

I love corn dogs, but they have to be fresh! Kind of hard to get at times. These look yummy! And the tip from Ellen to make them crispy….can’t wait. Thanks for all of the wonderful recipes!

17. postedAug 8, 2012 3:55 PM
    diane rosales

do you have the nutritional info for these?

18. postedSep 12, 2012 11:44 AM

These are DELICIOUS!! I made these in regular sized cupcake tin and everyone raved about them. Making them in a mini tin this Sunday for the football games. 😉

19. postedOct 31, 2012 3:51 PM

Made these for dinner tonight! I didn’t read anywhere that it tells how many it makes – 48 minis very full or a few more if you don’t fill the muffin cups as full. Don’t chintz on the cooking spray – I tried that and my first batch stuck. Not bad, but I’d rather they just slide out! I made a double batch so I can freeze a meal worth. Everyone loved them! Thanks!

20. postedFeb 17, 2014 4:50 PM

I don’t have mini muffin pans. Have you tried baking them in a regular sized muffin pan? If so, how much longer did you cook them. Can’t wait to try these this week. Thank you.

• February 20th, 2014 @ 2:50 PM

I have not… but regular muffins usually take between 18 and 22 minutes or so.