posted in Appetizers

Puff Pastry Nachos

I’m such a big fan of Super Bowl food, so these Puff Pastry Nachos are going to fit nicely into my Super Bowl menu this year…

Puff Pastry Nachos
If I could eat nachos a few times a week for a main meal, I’d be totally okay with that.  Anything smothered with melted cheese, beans, olives, tomatoes, jalapeños, guacamole and sour cream…. YES, PLEASE.  So I know that’s not super realistic, but I’m a major nachos fan, for sure.  I decided that Puff Pastry might make a great vehicle for nachos.  Turns out I was right.

I’m partnering with Pepperidge Farm® Puff Pastry the next few months to create recipes for my readers, and I also have some very exciting news to share on how you can win a trip to the Pepperidge Farm® Innovation Center in Norwalk, CT by sharing your own idea of creating something delicious with Puff Pastry! Scroll down to the bottom of this post for more info.

Puff Pastry Nachos 1

This is fun Super Bowl food because you can prepare these ahead, wrap the baking sheet in plastic wrap and refrigerate it.  Then, when you’re ready for your nachos, just pop it into the oven.  It all starts with Puff Pastry Sheets… just using a pizza cutter or sharp knife to cut the Puff Pastry into 1-inch squares.

Puff Pastry Nachos 2

The squares are topped with a smidge of refried beans, a slice of tomato, and an olive…. then they’re placed into the oven to partially bake, then they get a sprinkle of shredded cheese toward the end of baking.

Puff Pastry Nachos 3

You can certainly eat them like this with all of that fabulous melty cheese…

Puff Pastry Nachos 4

… but I opted to fancify them and add slices of avocado and jalapeño to each bite.

Puff Pastry Nachos -

Sour cream tops it all off to make it a “complete” nacho.  I’m totally ready for Super Bowl now, are you?!

Puff Pastry Contest Jan

My TOP PICK winner from the last Puff Pastry recipe I shared is:

Winner Jan
Congrats to Liz!  Now it’s your turn >> In the comments below- share YOUR  own original Puff Pastry recipe/idea and/or twist on an existing dish using Pepperidge Farm® Puff Pastry for a chance to win a trip to the Pepperidge Farm Headquarters!

Yield: 36 nacho bites

Prep Time: 30 min + rising time

Cook Time: 20 min

Puff Pastry Nachos

1/2 pkg. (17.3 ounces) Pepperidge Farm® Puff Pastry Sheets, (one sheet) thawed
3/4 cup refried beans
36 small slices of tomato (I use small Campari tomatoes)
36 sliced olives
3/4 cup finely shredded cheddar (or cheddar/jack blend)
avocado, sliced and/or jarred sliced jalapeños
sour cream, optional

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat mat.

2. Use a knife or pizza cutter to cut 1-inch squares from the Puff Pastry. You should be able to get 36 squares from one sheet. Place the squares on the baking sheet, leaving about 1-inch space between each square.

3. Place a small dab of beans on each pastry square. Top with a tomato and an olive. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove baking sheet from the oven and top each with a sprinkle of the shredded cheese. Return the baking sheet to the oven for 3 to 5 minutes, just until cheese is melted and pastry is lightly browned.

4. For serving, top each with avocado or jalapeño and a small dollop of sour cream.

Make- ahead tip: Prepare nachos through topping with beans, tomato and olive. Wrap the baking sheet with plastic wrap and refrigerate up to 3 hours before baking. To bake, remove from the refrigerator, discard plastic wrap, and bake & finish as directed.

Disclosure:  I am working with Pepperidge Farm over the next few months to create recipes using their Puff Pastry products as part of their “Puff is the Spark” panel.  This is a product that I use in my kitchen regularly.  All opinions shared are my own.

27 Responses to “Puff Pastry Nachos”

1. postedJan 24, 2014 3:55 AM

Lori these are so fun!! I just happen to have an extra sheet of puff pastry in my freezer. I know what to do with it! Pinned.

Since you asked for ways to use it, my most original use of puff pastry was this recipe and it’s a very good performer for me on Pinterest 🙂

2. postedJan 24, 2014 4:48 AM

I do believe Nachos are a meal! These look and so easy!

3. postedJan 24, 2014 5:13 AM

Oh YES PLEASE! Nachos are such a classic appetizer but I love the idea of using puff pastry….hello buttery, flaky goodness topped with CHEESE-O-RAMA! Perfect!
    As for my creative idea with pastry I would make a thick mixture of cream cheese, shredded chicken, cheddar and cheese and buffalo sauce and roll it into little balls. Around the little balls I would wrap a layer of puff pastry and bake… A little spin on pot pie, in a buffalo chicken bite!

4. postedJan 24, 2014 7:43 AM

These sound awesome!! Such a fun treat!

5. postedJan 24, 2014 8:05 AM
    Laura in Texas

I would use some puff pastry with some chèvre and orange cranberry sauce for a tasty morsels 🙂

6. postedJan 24, 2014 8:28 AM

very clever! I will have to give these a try.

7. postedJan 24, 2014 9:56 AM

Love Nachos! These are so fun.

8. postedJan 24, 2014 10:20 AM

I never thought of using puff pastry for anything nacho related. Great idea!

9. postedJan 24, 2014 10:51 AM

Such a fun twist to regular nachos!

10. postedJan 24, 2014 11:03 AM
    Uma Subbiah

I make a puff pastry samosa. I make a spicy potato filling with onions, peas and potatos and curry seasoning and then place them in the puff pastry squares and roll them up. Then bake and enjoy.

11. postedJan 24, 2014 11:39 AM

I love nachos!! I would do a sweet version with whipped cream, chocolate syrup, lots of sprinkles and a cherry. Sort of like an ice cream sunday minus the ice cream!

12. postedJan 24, 2014 2:47 PM

These look so perfect and I happen to have everything I need for them! Looks like this will be a snack tonight. Pinned!

13. postedJan 24, 2014 5:28 PM

These are perfect for getting in a few nacho-licious bites…but not feeling like I HAVE to eat the whole pan!

14. postedJan 24, 2014 8:16 PM

come on!! These just look too delicious! I love the idea of using puff pastry. These are perfect for the Super Bowl!!

15. postedJan 25, 2014 2:55 AM

Your nachos look so good! I think I would make puff pastry bites with caramelized onions, bacon, a mild white cheese and drizzled with a smidge of honey!

16. postedJan 25, 2014 6:10 AM

I would use puff pastry to make individual pizzas. I would lay out toppings and let people build their own then pop them in the oven and there you have it!

17. postedJan 25, 2014 9:15 AM

These look delicious. I love Super Bowl food too – not so much a fan of the game itself.

18. postedJan 25, 2014 12:05 PM

A great twist on nachos! These pastry nachos look delish!

19. postedJan 26, 2014 8:05 AM

Great recipe and tips. I am surely gonna thy this soon:)

20. postedJan 26, 2014 12:42 PM

Love these, Lori. Pinned!

21. postedJan 26, 2014 8:04 PM

one summer when I was in high school I decided I was going on a diet and had a plate of nachos for lunch every day (figuring salsa was a bunch of veggie, so it was healthy?) It never got old, and I actually did lose weight. Hmmmm….

22. postedJan 26, 2014 8:55 PM

I would fill puff pastry cups with rum chocolate mousse and top with a vanilla sweetened whipped cream.

23. postedJan 27, 2014 10:34 AM

Just wondering if you could use a whole sheet of puff pastry and then cut into squares after baking rather than having to put all of the ingredients on each 1″ square?

• January 27th, 2014 @ 12:26 PM

I’m afraid that would get awfully messy… making them individually, they are clean enough to pick up and eat.

24. postedJan 27, 2014 1:22 PM

Love, love, love this recipe! So easy and tasty…just perfect for the Super Bowl for kids and adults alike. I already pinned these this morning and they are popular! Thanks for sharing, girl!

25. postedJan 31, 2014 5:09 AM
    Haley @Cupcakes and Sunshine

I love all things puff pastry! I will definitely have to give these a try!

26. postedFeb 7, 2014 5:39 PM

You make it look so easy! I’ve been wrestling with puff pastry for a few weeks now, reading the box, reading the website, and honestly I did better chucking the ”official instructions” and going rogue my favorite flavor from all that wrestling was Very Veggie Puff Pastry Pizza Bites: olives, artichokes, goat cheese, pickled peppers on a roasted garlic-brushed puff pastry dough.