This recipe has been featured in a post on The Recipe Girl blog: Chocolate- Dipped Espresso Cookies
Chocolate Dipped Espresso Shortbread Cookies
The perfect flavor combination of coffee and chocolate!
Servings: 72 cookies (1 per serving)
- 1 cup (2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into ½ inch pieces
- ½ cup granulated white sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2¼ cups (10 ounces) all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons instant espresso powder
- 9 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- sprinkles (optional)
- Using a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or in a large bowl with a hand mixer), combine the butter, sugar and salt on low speed until the butter combines with the sugar but isn't perfectly smooth, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the flour and espresso and mix on low speed, scraping the bowl frequently, until the dough has just about pulled together, about 3 minutes (don't over mix).
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough to about ¼ inch thick. Cut out desired shape (rounds, hearts, etc.) as close to one another as possible. Gather scraps together, roll out again and cut out more cookies. Arrange cookies on two parchment-lined baking sheets and refrigerate until chilled, at least 20 minutes.
- Position racks in upper and lower thirds of the oven and preheat oven to 300°F.
- Bake cookies until tops look dry and color has darkened slightly, 12 to 20 minutes (depending on thickness of your cookies). Halfway through, rotate the baking sheets and swap their positions for even baking.
- When cookies are cooled, set a sheet of parchment or waxed paper on a work surface.
- Put chocolate and shortening in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring after each interval, until melted and smooth.
- Dip half of each cookie into the chocolate. Edge in sprinkles, if desired. Set cookies on parchment and let the chocolate set at room temperature, about 2 hours.
- These cookies can be frozen for several weeks. Let chocolate dipped cookies cool completely and then layer in a sealed container with waxed paper between cookie layers.
Serving: 1cookie, Calories: 78kcal, Carbohydrates: 9g, Protein: 1g, Fat: 4g, Saturated Fat: 3g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.2g, Monounsaturated Fat: 1g, Trans Fat: 0.1g, Cholesterol: 7mg, Sodium: 17mg, Potassium: 34mg, Fiber: 0.5g, Sugar: 3g, Vitamin A: 84IU, Calcium: 4mg, Iron: 1mg