This vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting recipe is perfect for piping onto cakes and cupcakes.
If ever you were looking for a good frosting recipe… just a good solid frosting recipe… one that everyone will enjoy and one that tastes good, then this is the one you should try. It’s a cream cheese based frosting. That means it’s cream cheese mixed with butter (more cream cheese than butter). Everyone seems to love a good cream cheese frosting.
Does Cream Cheese Frosting have to be refrigerated?
Yes. Cream cheese is a dairy product, and therefore anything you frost with cream cheese frosting should be refrigerated. You can frost a two-layer cake with this frosting, and then refrigerate your cake. You can frost cupcakes with this frosting, and then refrigerate your cupcakes.
Can you make this frosting ahead?
I suppose you can make this frosting ahead, but then you’d need to let it come almost to room temperature again before trying to frost your cake or cupcakes. I think it’s much easier to just make it on the spot and frost right away.
Is this a good frosting for piping?
Yes! This frosting recipe is an excellent one for piping swirls onto cupcakes or decorative edges onto cakes. It holds its shape well.
What are the best tips to use for piping perfect cupcakes?
For icing cupcakes, I recommend trying either the Wilton Open Star 1M tip or the Wilton Closed Star 2D. Both of these you can usually find at craft or baking supply stores. Or just order a whole decorator tip kit and try out different ones!
Here are some cakes and cupcakes that would be delicious with this frosting:
- White Wedding Cake
- Pink Champagne Cupcakes
- Best Chocolate Cake Recipe
- Lemon Blueberry Cupcakes
- White Wedding Cake Cupcakes
- Yellow Cake
- White Velvet Buttermilk Cake
- Confetti Cupcakes
- Chocolate Wedding Cupcakes
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter, at room temperature
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 16 ounces powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- milk or cream, as needed
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to cream together the butter and cream cheese until smooth and well- combined. Add the sugar and vanilla and and continue beating until of spreading consistency. Add a drizzle of milk or cream, if needed, to thin out the frosting (for a thinner spreading consistency).
- Frost your cake or cupcakes and keep refrigerated.
- This recipe makes enough to frost 24 cupcakes or a two-layer cake.