This Grilled Chili Garlic Tri Tip recipe is made super simple with a marinade rub and then grilled to perfection to your liking.
When you want to have a cookout and utilize your backyard barbecue, grilling tri tip is a great choice. This marinated tri tip is grilled low and slow, and it turns out a grilled roast that is tender and flavorful. Add corn on the cob and your favorite salad to the menu, and you’ve got a great meal!
- tomato sauce
- red chili paste
- olive oil
- ground cumin
- chili powder
- ground coriander
- garlic cloves
- boneless beef tri tip roast
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
How to make Grilled Chili Garlic Tri Tip:
The complete, printable recipe is at the end of this post.
MARINATE THE TRI-TIP:
This recipe serves about 6 people, but I think it can serve more. It all depends on the size of your tri tip roast. You can grill it to your liking. In the photos you see here, the grilled chili garlic tri tip is medium rare. Be sure to use a meat thermometer so you can get it to the temperature that you desire.
In my house, this is the temperature we like to eat our steaks and beef roasts and tri tip. If that’s too pink for you, by all means grill it a little bit longer. In any case, I think you’re going to love the marinade flavors in this one. Enjoy!
Favorite Grilling Recipes:
- Honey Mustard Grilled Chicken
- Grilled Watermelon Salad
- Steakhouse Pork Chops
- Grilled Salmon with Nectarine Salsa
- Grilled Pork Tenderloin with Blueberry Barbecue Sauce
Grilled Chili-Garlic Tri-Tip
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon red chili paste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1¼ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 pounds boneless beef tri-tip roast
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
MARINATE THE TRI-TIP:
- In a small bowl, combine the tomato sauce, chili paste, oil, spices and garlic.
- Trim the fat from the roast. Place the meat in a shallow dish; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Spread the spice paste over both sides of the meat. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 2 to 6 hours.
- Preheat a gas grill to 350℉. You'll be using direct and indirect grilling for this recipe, so just turn the burners on half the grill.
- Place the seasoned tri tip roast directly on the grill grates over indirect heat. Close the lid and grill for 30 to 40 minutes, flipping every 6 to 7 minutes. When the roast reaches an internal temperature of 120℉, move it over to direct heat and grill for 2 to 3 minutes per side or until the internal temperature reaches your desired doneness. Pull the tri tip from the grill when it reaches a final temperature of the following: 125℉ for rare, 135℉ for medium rare, 145℉ for medium, 155℉ for medium well, 160℉ for well done
- Remove the tri tip from the grill. Rest the meat for 10 minutes then slice against the grain and serve.