It’s a good thing though, I think. Fresh, juicy summer fruit is in full-swing, and it feels mighty fine to take advantage of it! Check out this healthy, delicious summer peach and pecan quinoa salad.
How to make Peach and Pecan Quinoa Salad:
It starts with cooked quinoa (just follow the directions on the package). FULL DISCLOSURE: I’m not always crazy about quinoa. But I know it’s quite good for you, and when it’s combined with delicious things, it can be quite good! Quinoa tastes good in this salad recipe!
This salad combines quinoa with delicious things. Things like green onions, bell pepper, cucumber, pecans and PEACHES. Fresh peaches!
How to peel peaches:
Score each of your peaches with a sharp knife, making an “X” on each peach. Drop the peaches into boiling water for 10 to 20 seconds, until the skin begins to split. Remove the peaches from the water with a slotted spoon, and move them to an ice water bath. You will then be able to slip the skins off the peaches using a small paring knife.
I love that it’s colorful too. “Eat colorful foods and you’ll be eating healthy things.” That’s always what I’ve heard.
The dressing is a simple mix of yogurt, lemon, garlic and honey. Add as little or as much honey as you’d like (depending on how much you like a sweet flavor).
It’s pretty isn’t it? I save a few of the mix-ins to sprinkle on top for a prettier presentation. The dressing mixed with the salad ingredients makes for a quite delicious, summery salad (especially if you’re a lover of fresh peaches). If you’re not into pecans, you can leave them out or sub in almonds instead. Enjoy!
Here are a few more recipes using peaches that you might like to try:
- Grilled Balsamic Chicken and Peaches
- Carolina Peach Sangria
- Peach Upside Down Cake
- Peach Cobbler French Toast Casserole
- Easy Peach Dumplings
- Fresh Peach Scones
- Brown Sugar Peach Pancakes
- Peach Cobbler
Peach and Pecan Quinoa Salad
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1/3 cup toasted pecans (toasted or un-toasted)
- 1 whole green onion, sliced
- 1 cup diced peeled peaches
- 3/4 cup diced cucumber
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons plain nonfat yogurt
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons honey (or more, to taste)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
PREPARE THE SALAD:
- Prepare the quinoa according to the package directions. Place it into a bowl and let it cool.
- Add the remaining salad ingredients to the bowl: pecans, onion, peaches, cucumber and bell pepper. Stir to combine.
PREPARE AND ADD DRESSING:
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients. Add the dressing to the salad and stir to combine. I usually add more honey- drizzling some honey directly into the salad and tasting to get the flavor just right! Serve immediately, or cover and chill until ready to serve.