Pumpkin Cream Cheese Swirl Bread is a good way to jazz up a classic pumpkin loaf recipe!
I always recommend that everyone try my very favorite Pumpkin Bread Recipe, but I love this variation too with the swirls. It’s like having a good slice of pumpkin bread with a cheesecake-like swirl inside. Consider it a treat for breakfast or as a comforting afternoon snack.
How to make Pumpkin Cream Cheese Swirl Bread:
You’ll make a typical pumpkin bread batter. And then you’ll make the swirl filling (cream cheese, sugar and egg whites). Half of the pumpkin batter is spooned into a loaf pan, and then the cream cheese layer is spooned on top.
The remaining pumpkin bread batter is spooned on top of the cream cheese layer.
How to get a good swirl:
Now it’s time to do the swirl! You’ll take a knife (I like to use a butter knife) and dip it into the batter. Then you’ll move the knife around, gently swirling and taking care not to bump into the bottom or the sides of the pan. Swirl it as much as you want.
When you bake your Pumpkin Cream Cheese Swirl Bread, it’ll rise, crack on top and turn golden orange-brown.
What’s the best way to store pumpkin bread:
Let your Pumpkin Cream Cheese Swirl Pumpkin Bread cool completely. Then wrap it with plastic wrap and slip it into a large zip baggie and seal it closed. Store pumpkin bread at room temperature for up to two days. To extend its life, store it in the zipped bag in the refrigerator for up to one week. Or freeze in the zip bag for up to three months.
Readers have reported substituting unsweetened applesauce for the oil with success. And reducing the sugar a bit is probably okay too, if you don’t like things too sweet. I haven’t experimented with using a sugar substitute. And it’s okay to use whole eggs instead of egg whites, if you prefer.
If you’re looking for a seasonal treat to bake today, I think you should bake this Pumpkin Cream Cheese Swirl Bread- enjoy!
Here are a few more pumpkin bread recipes you might like to try:
- Best Pumpkin Bread Recipe
- Whole Wheat Olive Oil Pumpkin Bread
- Cranberry Pumpkin Bread
- Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread
- Pumpkin Banana Nut Bread
- Starbucks Pumpkin Bread
- Spicy Whole Wheat Pumpkin Banana Bread
- Sourdough Pumpkin Bread
Pumpkin Cream Cheese Swirl Bread
- 1 cup unsweetened pumpkin puree
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 3 large egg whites
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2½ teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
CREAM CHEESE SWIRL:
- 8 ounces low fat cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons granulated white sugar
- 1 large egg white
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray the bottom only of a 9x5-inch loaf pan with nonstick spray; set aside.
PREPARE THE BREAD BATTER:
- In a large bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, sugars, milk, oil and egg whites in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, spice and salt. Add the flour mixture to the wet mixture and stir just until moistened.
PREPARE THE SWIRL:
- In a medium bowl, use an electric mixer to combine the swirl ingredients until well blended.
ASSEMBLE THE BREAD:
- Spoon half of the pumpkin batter into the prepared pan; spoon the swirl mixture evenly over the batter. Cover with the remaining pumpkin batter. Use a knife to gently drag through the batter and swirl it around, being careful not to touch the bottom or sides.
- Bake for 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Run a knife or a thin spatula around the edges of the pan to loosen the bread; cool the bread in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove the bread from the pan to the wire rack; let cool completely.