This Roasted Beef Tenderloin with Merlot- Shallot Sauce was the main dish at one of my Gourmet Club’s dinner parties. It’s very easy to make. I used a thermometer that is placed into the meat, but sits outside of the oven, and we just kept an eye on the temperature and got the rest of the dinner ready as soon as it was 10 degrees away from being finished. It turns out oh-so-tender and delicious. Everyone enjoyed. Look for the tenderloin on sale!!
Roasted Beef Tenderloin with Merlot Shallot Sauce
Prep Time:30 minutes
Cook Time:45 minutes
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- One 2 1/2 pounds center- cut beef tenderloin
- 1/3 cup finely chopped shallots
- 1 1/2 cups Merlot or other dry red wine
- 1 1/2 cups low-salt beef broth
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350°. To prepare tenderloin, heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Combine sage, pepper, garlic, and salt; rub over tenderloin. Add tenderloin to pan; cook 6 minutes, lightly browning on all sides.
- Insert a meat thermometer into thickest portion of tenderloin. Cover handle of pan with foil. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until thermometer registers 140° (medium-rare) or desired degree of doneness. Place tenderloin on a cutting board; cover loosely with foil. Let stand 15 minutes. (Temperature of tenderloin will increase 5° upon standing.)
- To prepare sauce, heat pan coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add shallots; sauté 3 minutes or until tender. Stir in wine. Bring to a boil; cook until reduced to 3/4 cup (about 4 minutes). Stir in broth; cook until reduced to 1 1/4 cups (about 6 minutes). Add butter, stirring until melted. Stir in parsley and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Serve with tenderloin.
- Nutritional Information per serving: (Serving size: 3 ounces beef + 2 tablespoons sauce) Calories: 216, Fat: 8.2g, Sodium: 495mg, Fiber: .3g, Protein: 25.3g, Cholesterol: 72mg, Carbohydrates: 3.1g
- WEIGHT WATCHERS POINTS per serving: Freestyle SmartPoints: 5, Points Plus Program: 5, Old Points Program: 5