Spiked Eggnog Custard is a totally creamy and delicious dessert recipe that is perfect for making during the holiday season.
This eggnog custard has just four ingredients. And it’s super quick to make! You’ll just need unflavored gelatin, eggnog, rum and nutmeg.
How to make Spiked Eggnog Custard:
The gelatin is softened in 1/4 cup water. Then it’s microwaved until the gelatin is dissolved in the hot water. Eggnog is mixed with rum in a bowl, and then the dissolved gelatin is whisked in. Then you can divide the custard mixture between four serving dishes. They’re refrigerated until set. That’s it!
Desserts 4 Today- Flavorful Desserts with just FOUR ingredients, is a cookbook by Abigail Dodge. It’s hard enough for me to think up a recipe to make that has just four ingredients, but Abby managed to come up with a whole cookbook full of dessert recipes- all made with only 4 ingredients! Chapters are divided into cookies, creamy desserts, frozen desserts, fruit desserts and pastry desserts. Abby designed the book to be a straightforward, non-nonsense collection of recipes with tips, hints and variations for every recipe.
It’s tough to say that you don’t have time to make dessert when you’ve got this book at hand. I gave it a test-drive, and whipped up this delicious Spiked Eggnog Custard in just 5 minutes.
When you’re ready to serve your Spiked Eggnog Custard, sprinkle some ground nutmeg on top. If you have fresh nutmeg, grate that on top instead.
Can I leave the rum out of the Eggnog Custard?
Yes! If you don’t want your eggnog to be spiked, don’t use rum. Substitute 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract for the rum. Then you’ll just have a delicious Eggnog Custard!
This custard is creamy and perfect. The eggnog flavor is spot-on amazing. It’s the easiest holiday dessert recipe you’ll ever make. Enjoy!
Here are a few more custard/pudding recipes you might like to try:
- Rice Pudding
- Butterscotch Pudding
- Creamy Vanilla Custard
- Sticky Toffee Pudding
- Chocolate Pudding
- Pumpkin Custard
- Caramel Custard
- Old Fashioned Custard Pie
Spiked Eggnog Custard
- 2 teaspoons unflavored powdered gelatin
- 1 2/3 cups eggnog
- 2 to 3 tablespoons dark rum
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Have ready four 6-ounce ramekins and make room in the fridge.
- Put 1/4 cup water in a small bowl and sprinkle the gelatin on top. Let sit until the gelatin is moist and plump, about 3 minutes. Microwave until the gelatin is dissolved and the liquid is smooth, 30 to 90 seconds.
- Put the eggnog and dark rum in a medium bowl. Add the dissolved gelatin and whisk until blended, about 20 seconds.
- Divide the mixture between the ramekins. Cover and refrigerate until chilled and firm or for up to 3 days.
- To serve, sprinkle the nutmeg evenly over the top of each custard and serve immediately.
- *Substitution ideas: In place of the dark rum, switch in one of the following- 2 to 3 tablespoons brandy or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- *This recipe can be easily cut in half to make a dessert for two ?
- *If you're making this as a GLUTEN FREE recipe, make sure your eggnog is of the gluten-free variety.