A delicious Italian dish: Veal Marsala Scaloppine
Veal Marsala Scaloppine
Prep Time:30 minutes
Cook Time:15 minutes
- 2 pounds veal round, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup green onions (include green tops), sliced
- 1 cup fresh brown mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup Marsala wine
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon white pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Pound the veal slices to tenderize them. Cut the tenderized slices into about 2 1/2" x 2 1/2" pieces. Set aside.
- Put flour, salt, pepper and oregano into a large plastic zip baggie and mix well. Add the veal to the bag and shake well until the veal pieces are well coated with the flour mixture. Set aside.
- Heat the butter and olive oil in a deep non-stick skillet and saute the onions lightly. Remove the onions from the skillet with a slotted spoon, and in the oil, brown the coated veal on both sides, being careful not to over-cook. You may have to brown the veal pieces just a few at a time. When the veal is browned, return it to the skillet with the sauted onions, and add the basil and Marsala wine. Simmer until a rich sauce forms. If sauce is too thick, you can add some chicken broth.
- Add mushrooms and simmer for another 2 to 3 minutes and serve.