Candy Bars Make Everything Taste Better: Twix Bar Brownies

There has been a Twix (candy) Bar sitting on a chair in my husband’s office since December. Every time I go in there, I spy it… just lying there. I’m not sure how my husband can share his office daily with cookie-caramelly-chocolate and fend off the craving that surely has to be there. When I asked him about the Twix, he merely said that he had picked it up on a business trip and never got around to eating it. Great.

I’m quite fond of baking with candy bars. I’ve put Kit Kat’s in Lemon Bars, Heath Bars in Cheesecakes, Snicker’s Bars in Tarts, Butterfingers in Blondies & Pie & Cookies, Reeses Peanut Butter Cups in Brownies, and Milky Ways in Brownies too. It was time to experiment with Twix. I took my all-time-favorite brownie recipe, and added Twix Bars to make, you’ve got it… Twix Bar Brownies.

I froze the Twix Bars to make them easier to slice thinly and neatly. I mixed some into the brownie batter and placed the rest on top for decorative purposes :)

I always line my pan with foil that has been sprayed with nonstick spray. Then you can easily take the whole slab of brownies out of the pan, peel off the foil, and cut into neat slices.

Mmmmm… can you spot the caramel & the cookie, surrounded by a layer of milk chocolate?

This recipe makes a ton- depending on how large you cut them they serve 24 to 36 people. I served them at a very large gathering of both kids and adults, and they were the first dessert at the gathering to disappear. The crunch of the cookies stays intact in the baked brownie, and the chocolate that surrounds the cookie-caramel layers protects the caramel from melting into the fudgy brownie. I thought they were pretty addicting, and was happy to have people around who were willing to gobble them up quickly.

There is no longer a Twix bar sitting in my husband’s office. I finally gave it to my son out of fear that I was going to eat it myself.

This recipe can be found here: Twix Bar Brownies.

Note: If you are in a part of the world that does not sell Twix Bars, try using a similar sort of candy bar. This is a very versatile brownie recipe that welcomes add-ins.

29 Responses to “Candy Bars Make Everything Taste Better: Twix Bar Brownies”

HoneyB — May 10, 2010 @ 1:51 AM

I will never understand how a man can let a candy bar like that sit around for so long! Ugh. I wish I had that kind of attitude about chocolate!! The brownies look delicious – Twix is my very favorite candy bar!

Jessica @ How Sweet — May 10, 2010 @ 2:32 AM

Ohmigosh. I could eat that entire pan!

Sonia — May 10, 2010 @ 2:43 AM

I am alike your hubby…I’ve a two boxes of variety of chocolates, still sitting in my fridge since Christmas. I’m not a big fan of chocolate itself. Though, I can eat it in brownies, cake, etc. :)
    Your Twix brownies looks so rich and beautiful!

Sara — May 10, 2010 @ 8:01 AM

Outstanding! Twix is my 2nd favorite candy bar, right behind Snickers. Isn’t it amazing how men can resist chocolate? If I got that on a business trip in December, you could guarantee I would have eaten it about 5 minutes after I bought it. :)

A Bowl Of Mush — May 10, 2010 @ 8:28 AM

Ooh yum!! I looove twixs! (omg I want one now)

Twix in a brownie….I need to make these now!!

Yum!!

grace — May 10, 2010 @ 11:25 AM

it saddens me to think that there are parts of the world with no access to twix bars. these brownies are outstanding! :)

Barbara — May 10, 2010 @ 12:25 PM

OMG. This is definitely NOT the time of day to be reading your blog.
    I could crawl right in the computer and grab these!

Memoria — May 10, 2010 @ 1:07 PM

Looks yummy!

Lauren @ Healthy Delicious — May 10, 2010 @ 2:56 PM

“never got around to eating it” what? so like a man. that would have been gone in a flash around me.

VeggieGirl — May 11, 2010 @ 1:39 AM

Be still, my beating heart – love the bars!! Too funny about your husband, haha :-D

bridget {bake at 350 — May 11, 2010 @ 4:55 AM

Men! We would never let that happen!

Great idea to add them to brownies! I’ll bet they were delicious!

Manggy — May 11, 2010 @ 7:32 AM

We don’t eat too many candy bars here at home (we don’t have them around – too easy to eat), but Twix is one of my favorites. I get why these were the first to be finished :)

Kristie — May 11, 2010 @ 9:28 AM

Twix and brownies all in one. If I where to make these they would be gone within hours. Yummy!

leslie — May 11, 2010 @ 5:38 PM

oh my..I could live on chocolate!!
    These looks amazing!

Alexandra — May 11, 2010 @ 4:39 PM

omg omg omg… have to make those next time I bake!!

Katrina — May 11, 2010 @ 6:31 PM

Love using candy bars in baked goods. I actually have a Twix bar in my stash that I think I got from getting a coupon for a free candy bar. I’ve probably had it since last year, too. Funny, I can’t convince myself to just eat a candy bar, but don’t feel near as bad when I bake them in something and then have some of that! ;)

Dana — May 11, 2010 @ 7:43 PM

When I was a kid, we used to get to choose a candy bar each night after dinner (hard for me to believe now). My first choice was $100,000 bar, but if that was not around, I always picked Twix. I totally have to make these.

CookTeen — May 12, 2010 @ 5:03 PM

how wowza! These loook out of this world!

The Double Dipped Life — May 13, 2010 @ 6:21 AM

These look amazing! Love Twix!

Kristen — May 13, 2010 @ 8:17 AM

what a fantastic idea! I’m with you, I couldn’t leave a Twix just sitting there. Hives or not, I would not be able to help myself ;-) (I just wish they were dairy-free, ho hum)

cookiepie — May 14, 2010 @ 11:13 AM

Love brownies, LOVE Twix bars — these look fantastic!!!

FLUTTERCUP — May 15, 2010 @ 12:25 PM

This would not stay around in my house for long. My family would eat it up in one day. Look wonderful.

Kerstin — May 15, 2010 @ 5:33 PM

Twix bars are my favorite so I would gobble these right up – great idea!

FLUTTERCUP — May 15, 2010 @ 7:40 PM

My kids saw your picture and begged me to try. Guess what I will be doing tomorrow. Baking your brownies. I can’t wait to see how they turn out.

Maggy — May 17, 2010 @ 5:29 PM

These look too amazing, Lori! Brownies – good. Twix – really good. Twix Bar Brownies – pure insanity.

CookerKid — June 6, 2010 @ 6:30 PM

I made my own version of these in my dutch oven and it was a million times better than in the oven. And if just you leave it just a little bit gooey, then its even better!!!!!!!!!
    (I even won 1st in a dessert contest!!!!!)

Christina — August 30, 2010 @ 4:05 PM

These look pretty yummy! I just wanted to say that cooking with tin foil is a great way to keep it clean and neat BUT the metal leaches into your food!! Which is linked to all sorts of long term health issues. I will give these a try! I was looking for something with Kit-kat other than cake or cheese cake for my hubbys b-day tomorrow, any ideas? Thanks!

• Lori Lange replied: — September 4th, 2010 @ 6:48 AM

@Christina, You can always line it w/ parchment paper instead.