Remembering 9/11

I’m sure you remember exactly what you were doing on this fateful day.  I was having a happy, early morning before I went off to work as a 2nd grade teacher.  My baby boy was 3 months old, and I was up early on the West Coast… feeding him and watching TV.  I watched as the newscasters aired footage of the fire in the first tower.  They knew that a plane had hit, but at first they thought it was an accident… that maybe a small plane had hit the tower.  No one could have imagined what was going to happen shortly thereafter.

It became apparent that something was wrong.  I woke up my husband just before the 2nd plane hit.  And then the world began to fall apart.  It was all so emotional and shocking and strange and terrifying.  Things like this were not supposed to happen in our United States.  This wasn’t happening.  But it was.  It’s an event in our history that no one will ever forget, and it has affected all of us in different ways.  Here’s how it has affected me…

Our family is forever indebted to the work of firefighters (and other first responders).  We respect them and their heroism, and we show our gratitude to them every chance we get.

I sometimes find myself obsessed with imagining what happened to the people on those planes… how they must have felt and what they were thinking in those last moments.  I’m so sad for the families, and I can’t fly on an airplane today without thinking about 9/11.

For the people who were killed on the ground, and for those who were stuck on top floors of the World Trade Center… I can’t imagine the fear and helplessness they experienced.  It’s really unimaginable.  It has sure made me realize that you can never really be certain of tomorrow.

I feel sad for the families who lost their loved ones in this tragedy.  It’s tough to watch the interviews on TV, but I think that watching is important to somehow help understand what people are going through.

I can’t sing the National Anthem now without getting teary.  That’s part-feeling sad about the events of 9/11, and it’s part-feeling so proud of a country that is united and strong.

After 9/11, I remember feeling quite scared that I was bringing my son into this world of uncertainty.  I thought, “What have I done?”  Now I  have more hope that he’ll be living in a world that can be protected from such evils.  I know that the dangers are going to be there- and he does too- but the United States is much more aware and hopefully we can stop something like this from happening again, at least on such a large scale.

The toughest thing about that day… that week… was that I had to go to work as a 2nd grade teacher and try to explain to my 7 year old students what happened.  I had to keep it together emotionally as best I could and try to reassure them that everything was okay… when it really wasn’t.

Where were you that fateful day?  And how has 9/11 affected/changed you?

16 Responses to “Remembering 9/11”

Nicole — September 9, 2011 @ 8:41 PM

I remember that day well too. I was sitting in my Music Education class. The teacher was late (she never was), came in crying, told us what happened, and prayed so fervently with us as a class. She then dismissed class as did the University for the rest of the day. I watched the rest of the day unfold with my roommates and called home.

I am now a fourth grade teacher and so thankful for the men and women in the service and in the first responder, medical, fire, etc. My cousin is a Paramedic and Firefighter. I see a lot through his eyes and words.

beth — September 9, 2011 @ 8:42 PM

Beautiful Post. I’m trying to create a space for many 9/11 posts together to honor the victims and heroes. Please link up here: tp://tinyurl.com/3ewxu7l

Thank you.

Damyon — September 9, 2011 @ 9:40 PM

I was doing as most people in NYC, working. I was on the road as part of a four man crew that changes large outdoor advertising sign faces in the greater Philadelphia area. Two of us were in a vehicle without a radio and we didn’t have any idea what was going on. We were updated upon arriving at each structure by the other half of the crew that did have a radio. The news was interesting but didn’t really immediately impact our lives. We just kept working, doing our job earning a living for our families. As so many in NYC.

Live your life as if you may die with your next breath. Act with love.

Jennafina — September 10, 2011 @ 7:08 AM

I am from Australia & 10 years ago I was working a nightshift at the hospital in the outback. We had an elderly permanent care patient in & it was around 12.30am – 1.00am when he came up to the nurses station saying that it’s the end of the world, they have bombed America. We thought what the heck is he going on about, he must of had a bad dream. He kept telling us that it is on TV, turn the TV on, turn the TV on! Once we turned the TV, I could not believe what I was seeing, thinking is this for real. We sat there until the end of our shift, in shock, disbelief, crying, watching what was happening in New York. After finishing work that morning, I arrived home & could not sleep as all I could think was those poor people especially of the ones jumping from one of the Twin Towers, which will be etched in my mind forever. That day was a very eerie day & a very sad, sad day. To this day when I watch clips on 9/11, I get very emotional and shed tears. This not only affected America but the world too.

Lori Lange — September 10, 2011 @ 8:52 AM

You are so right about that.

Jody — September 10, 2011 @ 9:13 AM

Thanks for your thoughts. Rather than rewriting them you can read what I just postedhttp://jodylynne.com/2011/10-years-later/.

Kalyn — September 10, 2011 @ 10:59 AM

Lori, I can also vividly remember how hard it was to explain this to a classroom of children. I just kept telling them “We are safe here” even though I wasn’t really sure if we were.

Miss Delirium — September 10, 2011 @ 12:18 PM

Dear Lori

I’m from Norway and was about 11 years when this happened. Even though I was so young, and living so far away, I remember it quite well. My parents were in Canada and were supposed to go home by plane over NY right around the hours that it all happened. I watched it all on tv and it came as a shock because all I could think of and all I as a frightened 11yr old could relate all this to, were my parents who were supposed to “fly over NY”. It didn’t make it any better when we couldn’t reach them on the phone either. Of course they were okey, they never got to board any plane and they had to stay an extra 1-2 weeks. I remember all of the photos from the news and papers from this day. It’s really unimaginable that something like that could ever happen. Jennafina are right, it affected the whole world.

Rebecca — September 10, 2011 @ 1:41 PM

That day I was sitting in my 7th grade homeroom, we were called out of class and into the auditorium where we watched the news and watched the replay circuit of the planes flying into the towers over and over. A middle school auditorium has never been so quiet. I remember going to get gas with my mom and that the line at the gas station went around block. There was such an unease everywhere about what would happen next to us. September 11, 2001 was also my 13th birthday. I remember feeling like I couldn’t celebrate after what just happened, that it would be disrespectful. It’s always bittersweet on 09/1. Now, I am so grateful for all the heroes that day who saved so many lives and for the heroes today who are fighting for our United States of America.

RetroFlirt — September 10, 2011 @ 4:57 PM

This is my first time commenting on this site. Beautiful post. I just blogged about this same topic today, then happened to see your post. I was in middle school during 9/11/01.

Lydia — September 10, 2011 @ 9:43 PM

I remember waking up to see every channel playing footage of what happened. I live in hawaii and by the time I got up the planes had already crashed into the two towers. They were just replaying the image over and over again. My friend who returned home for a visit was suppose to fly out the next day and ended having to stay a few more days because the airports were closed. The first person I thought of when I turned on the TV to watch, was her sister who had just moved to New York to work for an airlines and I wanted to jump on the phone and call my friend, but I didn’t want to start her morning off in such a panic that I waited till I knew she got up, in which her sister already had contact her to say she was okay and no where near the place and had already decided to move back to L.A. They cancelled schools, and closed public places that day here in Hawaii. We couldn’t help but watch TV news all day long.
    I cannot and would not want to image how any body felt, in the plane, on the ground, in the building. It overwhelms me with tears and emotions to think of what they must have been thinking to this day. I too cannot get on a plane without thinking about that day. I hope this never happens again, in any part of the world.

Laura @ Family Spice — September 11, 2011 @ 11:38 AM

I suppose this is our generations Pearl Harbor. We will all carry with us those vivid memories of that tragic day. Our boys were just infants on Sept 11th and a mom’s instinct is to protect them. Today I held my oldest as we watched the tributes on tv and I started to tear up again, remembering how I held him in my arms 10 years ago watching the news unfold in front of me. It’s still overwhelming emotionally.

Dave Fifield — September 15, 2011 @ 4:34 PM

I’m a two tour vet of Nam. I watched and asked what can I do, and at that moment there was nothing.

Annamaria A — September 16, 2011 @ 2:46 PM

I was taking a day off from work to take my Father to his doctor’s appointment later in the day and was exercizing on the treadmill when I got a call from the woman that worked with me telling me what was going on. I turned on the TV and couldn’t turn away. I saw the second plane go into the second tower as it happened and just felt numb. A couple of days later, I found out that my cousin perished in the first building – she was on one of the floors that was the initial impact zone. No-one heard from her and no remains were ever found. Her Mom read the newspaper every day for the rest of her life looking for some news that Loretta had been found but to no avail. I found out that my neighbor barely escaped with his life and co-workers that were in the vacinity related their experiences also. The city was morose and there were much fewer people in the streets in the days and weeks after it happened.
    There is no sense that can be made of those acts. Thank you for your remembrance and your kind thoughts.

Taneesha — September 18, 2011 @ 3:27 AM

I am also from Australia and at the time I was 14 years old. I was asleep and my brother came running into my room yelling that there was war in America and the world trade towers had been “hit”. I was confused and at that point had no idea what the world trade towers were. We sat glued to the t.v for hours. With tears in our eyes we felt shock, sadness for the lives lost, helplesness for the people trapped and most of all we felt vulnerable. If this could happen to the strongest country in the world whats to stop it from coming to Australia? Ironcially September 11 is now one of the greatest days of my life. In 2009 it was the day my son was born so now when I think of all the lives lost it reminds me to hold him that much closer.

Lori Lange — September 18, 2011 @ 6:33 AM

I’m so sorry to hear about your cousin. I’m sure it has been quite a different experience for those who lost someone they love in that whole mess of a tragedy.