An elegant dinner for lamb lovers!
Lamb Shanks with Artichoke Caponata
Prep Time:30 min
Cook Time:5 hour
4 pounds lamb shanks (4 shanks- bones cracked)
1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
1 cup thinly sliced celery
One 8-ounce box frozen artichoke hearts
1 cup drained pitted kalamata olives
1 tablespoon drained capers
1 teaspoon dried basil
14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
2. Rinse shanks, pat dry, and arrange slightly apart in a 10x15-inch pan; sprinkle all over with pepper.
3. Bake shanks until well-browned, 20 to 30 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, in a 4.5-quart or larger electric slow cooker, combine onion, bell pepper, celery, artichoke hearts, olives, capers and basil. Set shanks on vegetables in cooker. Add tomatoes with juice, vinegar, and any lamb juices from baking pan.
5. Cover and cook until lamb is very tender when pierced with a fork, 6 to 6 1/2 hours on low, 4 to 4 1/2 hours on high.
6. With a slotted spoon, transfer each shank to a wide, shallow bowl and keep warm. Skim and discard fat from cooking liquid. Turn cooker to high. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch with 1 1/2 tablespoons water; pour into cooker and stir often until sauce is bubbling, about 10 minutes. Spoon sauce and vegetables over lamb, and sprinkle portions with parsley.
SOURCE: RecipeGirl.com (via Sunset)