Getting Skinny- an Update- 2 Months Later…

By “skinny” I mean whatever weight makes you feel good about yourself (not actually skinny skinny model skinny).  My feeling is… if you’re feeling skinny and healthy- then you’re skinny in my book.

Well, it’s been a couple of months now since I took the “Getting Skinny in 2012” plunge (like the rest of the world, right?)  Thought I’d give you a little update…

Since January 1st, I’ve lost a total of 13 pounds and 12 1/2 inches.  It’s shocking that I was able to lose at all when I was working on wrapping up the final recipes in my cookbook, but I managed to power through it with small tastes and a lot of exercise!  Although it’s a slow pace, I’m happy with the results so far (since those skinny jeans are on the not-too-far horizon).

I started out participating in a Biggest Loser contest at my gym for 7 weeks.  It was great for keeping me on track for limiting my calories and making good food choices, and it was motivating to exercise since Biggest Losers were awarded weekly prizes based on weekly results.  I did end up winning the contest (barely)- yay!

Since the contest ended, my husband has jumped on the healthy eating bandwagon too and we’ve decided to cut out a good deal of carbs from our diet.  I just think we felt overloaded and icky with excessive bread and pasta consumption.  I can tell you that the fat really comes off a lot faster in your mid-section when you limit carbs.  I know… I know… if I start eating carbs like a mad-woman again that it will all come back.  Been there, done that.  My plan is to count my carbs and keep an eye on limiting consumption when I get to the weight that I’m satisfied with.

For now, it’s lots of grilled fish and chicken, salads with all kinds of yummy veggies and beans added in, vegetable soups, a few fruits and nuts.  I love making scrambled eggs/egg whites for breakfast with spinach, tomatoes and feta cheese.  And believe me, I’m not perfect.  I drink wine when I want to, and if I eat a little more at a special function I’m attending then I’m just really conscious about eating better the rest of the week.

I have found a new fitness-love:  Spinning!  If you would have told me a year ago that I’d be a Spin Class Fanatic, I’d have slapped you silly.  I really do not like riding bikes much at all unless I’m on a really flat road.  But ironically, I love spin class!  It takes a couple of weeks to power through the soreness-in-the-seat, but after that you’re home-free and not sore anymore.  I’ve been spinning twice a week- a huge calorie burner at 600 to 700 calories in just one hour.  A bonus:  the way your muscles are worked, you actually re-shape your butt by spinning.  Flat butts have the potential to transform into more curve.  Ask my husband- it’s working :)  My gym just started offering a Pure Barre class, and I’m looking forward to trying that too.  I’ve abandoned the idea of running another half-marathon.  I’m still running occasionally, but my knee is just not ready for a half-marathon.  Oh well.  I’m still using My Fitness Pal for keeping track of daily fitness.

I think the biggest problem for most is staying motivated.  What keeps me motivated?  I have two weddings, a Bat Mitzvah and a family reunion this year.  And having my skinny clothes prominently displayed in my closet is a good reminder that I’d actually like those to fit me comfortably.  I’m sooooo much happier in the summer when I feel fit and thin.  That’s big motivation for me.  And when I think of eating cookie dough or taking a bit of that glazed brownie that I just made, I think… I’ve worked so hard to get where I am- why should I ruin that now?  I know it’s no big deal to take a bite of things now and then, but for me… a bite sometimes turns into a downward spiral into eating bad again.

I took a “before” photo… so maybe I’ll be brave enough to post before/after in a few more months.  We’ll see!

How are you doing on your fitness/eating goals this year?  Please share your secrets with the world… we can all use a little advice from you!

Links:

Hal Higdon Half Marathon Training
Couch to 5K
Kalyn’s Kitchen (South Beach/Low Carb Recipes)
Skinny Taste (WW recipes)
Eat Yourself Skinny (more WW friendly recipes)
RecipeGirl (WW category)
Pinterest (my Healthy Eating Links board)
Motivational weight loss story from my friend Dara
My Fitness Pal (friend me, and I’ll friend you back)
100 Workout Songs for your iPod

32 Responses to “Getting Skinny- an Update- 2 Months Later…”

Cookin' Canuck — March 21, 2012 @ 11:22 AM

Way to go, Lori! I love that you and your husband are working in so many healthy meals and that you’re kicking butt in spinning class. If you find an exercise you love to do, it makes the whole thing so much more enjoyable. Keep going, my friend. I love seeing your updates over on MyFitnessPal. Thanks so much for linking to my weight loss story.

• Lori Lange replied: — March 21st, 2012 @ 11:35 AM

Thanks, Dara. You motivate me every day… and you have such a great story to share!

Mandy (Mandy's Recipe Box) — March 21, 2012 @ 11:26 AM

Good going! I am re-starting Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred and hoping to stick with it. I love that it is only 20 minutes, but I hate exercise in general. Why can’t we just lose weight by reading? Keep it up!

• Lori Lange replied: — March 21st, 2012 @ 11:30 AM

I have that shred video- I’ve never been able to get into it. For me, it helps to be motivated in person, I guess!

Bronwyn — March 21, 2012 @ 11:27 AM

Grats to you!!!! How exciting is that! I just started following you, so I missed the beginning of your fitness journey. So do you really like the my Fitness Pal. A Facebook friend mentioned it, but I really didn’t look into it…

I have my yearly physical and check up tomorrow, so I have a feeling that weight loss will be part of the conversation.

Again, Congratulations! I’m really happy for you!

• Lori Lange replied: — March 21st, 2012 @ 11:35 AM

Thanks- it’s an everyday battle for some of us, isn’t it? Good luck!

Crystal @ Crystal's Cozy Kitchen — March 21, 2012 @ 11:31 AM

Congrats on the weight loss! That is always exciting!
    I lost about 20 lbs last year and it is hard to see me gaining it all back… (even though I’m sure when I hold my second baby in my arms it will all be worth it!)
    Good luck with the continued effort.

Lauren — March 21, 2012 @ 11:33 AM

Go Lori Go!!

brandi — March 21, 2012 @ 11:40 AM

great job! that’s definitely something to celebrate – especially when you were doing all your recipes for the book!

Sally @ sally's baking addiction — March 21, 2012 @ 11:43 AM

that’s great Lori! congrats. I love spinning too. it really works up a sweat!!

Mary Ann — March 21, 2012 @ 11:57 AM

I’ve lost 20.5 pounds, 16.5 inches and reduced my body fat by 5.6% in the past 4 months. I started going to a local Boot Camp (which does strength training, plyometrics, cardio intervals,etc) and started running more. I ran a half marathon 2 1/2 weeks ago as well. I started using a food diary and cut out sugar/white flour. Now I use loseit.com and feel great!

Good job on your hard work and keep it up!

• Lori Lange replied: — March 21st, 2012 @ 5:13 PM

That is so exciting- congrats to you!!! Feels good to feel good, doesn’t it?! Yahoo!

Blair — March 21, 2012 @ 12:22 PM

What is your calorie intake/ how many carbs are you having on a daily basis. I am trying to hard to get fit and eat healthier but not getting anywhere. I don’t know what the “magic number” for carb intake is because they really are my weakness!

• Lori Lange replied: — March 21st, 2012 @ 12:26 PM

Well, right now I’m not counting carbs… just really not eating any major carbs (no rice/potato/bread/flour/oats… anything like that. I’ll have a little bit of yogurt or cottage cheese with low-sugar peaches or things like that. But otherwise, in the weight loss phase I’m just sticking w/ proteins, veggies, and all I mentioned in the post. I’m not counting calories. I do watch how many nuts/nut butters I consume since that can get out of hand. And I drink lots and lots of tea with Truvia and almond milk!

Donna D. — March 21, 2012 @ 12:29 PM

Let me just start off with…I love your site!!! I was excited to see this post as I too just started taking spin classes in January and am taking them 2 times a week, and love it!! I have 90+ pounds to lose and haven’t been successful in the past but now that I’m taking spinning classes I feel so much more motivated and just took a strength training/cardio X-Camp class last night to add to what I’m already doing.
    Thanks for sharing your experience, its a motivation to me and hopefully others too!! Keep up the good work!

• Lori Lange replied: — March 21st, 2012 @ 2:17 PM

Thank you, glad to find another spin lover, and good luck to you! Feeling fit always makes eating healthier a bit easier, doesn’t it?

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts — March 21, 2012 @ 12:33 PM

Congrats!! Keep up the great work!! I need to actually take my measurements, because the scale can be so hard to look at every day!!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — March 21, 2012 @ 12:42 PM

Lori, congrats on your 13 lbs..that’s fantastic!! I know that it takes dedication to live a healthy lifestyle and eat and exercise accordingly and bravo to you for finding that inner discipline and for doing what works for you…your skinny clothes prominently displayed in the closet and talking yourself out of those BLTs (bites, licks, tastes) which can add up to a lot…when one is wrapping up a cookbook (congrats again!)…oh, the irony of it :) You are doing awesome!!!

Marie — March 21, 2012 @ 12:44 PM

Great job! I lost about 30 lbs myself last year and have managed to keep it off :) Most of your recipes are tempting though lol!

Erin @ Texanerin Baking — March 21, 2012 @ 12:56 PM

Wow, congratulations! That’s fantastic. And I don’t think it’s that slow of a rate. What’s important is that you keep it off and if you continue going at this steady pace, I think you’ll be more successful than if you actually lost two pounds per week. I’ve also been limiting carbs (I used to eat mostly bread, potatoes and baked goods… seriously) and I think I might have lost a little weight, but definitely nothing like 13 pounds. Keep up the good work. :)

Paula @lkg4sweetspot — March 21, 2012 @ 2:46 PM

You go girl! I know you will look great this summer, you always do. See you in Tahoe!

Nancy L — March 21, 2012 @ 3:02 PM

Way to go, Lori! It sure is easier to put on than it is to take it off, isn’t it?

I always start feeling sorry for myself after I ate something I shouldn’t and then I just make things worse! Gotta get out of that vicious circle!!

I would love to try spinning – it looks like a ball!

Kathryn — March 21, 2012 @ 3:05 PM

It sounds like you’re doing brilliantly! And it’s so much easier isn’t it when there’s two of you and can motivate each other?

Bev Weidner — March 21, 2012 @ 4:49 PM

I. Just. Love. This. !

Kalyn — March 22, 2012 @ 8:19 AM

Way to go Lori! I am working on losing a few pounds here too, and just bought a smaller size pants, yaay! Thanks for the mention of my blog!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — March 23, 2012 @ 7:39 AM

Congrats on doing so well, Lori!

Chris — March 24, 2012 @ 8:39 PM

Staying motivated can be so difficult – smart to have your skinny clothes in view :) I still struggle with 5-10 extra pounds. Have come to realize, so long as I am at Nestlé, it’s likely going to stay put. Those little tastes throughout the day add up to an entire meal!!

Keep spinning – exercise is key! Happy for your success!

Mimi — March 26, 2012 @ 8:00 AM

I LOVED reading this! The whole reason I coach people on nutrition and fitness is to hear and see stories like this! You have done amazingly well . . . especially considering some of the yummy dessert recipes you post. I’m not so good at making something sweet and then not eating it, so I am VERY impressed! Keep after it . . . you’re doing well. As for a small tid-bit of advice – I would suggest not cutting your carbs too much, but tapering them throughout the day (meaning start with good carbs at breakfast and by dinner maybe just have lean meat and veggies). And, when you choose carbs, choose whole foods that aren’t processed (like beans, fruit, sweet potatoes, brown rice, etc.). I think posting before and after pictures is a MUST! :) Keep going! ~Mimi (www.mimisfitfoods.com)

Sarah — March 26, 2012 @ 11:27 AM

That’s Awesome Lori!

I found a class that I love too recently. Zumba – it is so fun and addicting – the class makes you actually WANT to go to the gym:)

Ari Santamaria — March 29, 2012 @ 12:36 PM

I am in the 4th week of Turbo Fire and I am loving it. The satisfaction of just knowing I have done something good for myself is my motivation to keep going. I feel so much better about myself too. My best fitness partner is my 9 year old daughter who is already into health and fitness. She does my cardio workouts with me everyday (when she doesn’t have soccer practice)). She is such an inspiration!

Martha@ Simple Nourished Living — April 12, 2012 @ 9:08 PM

Way to go! Yoga and walking are my favorite forms of exercise, though I mix it up every once in a while with some hiking and biking.

Joanie Zisk — April 20, 2012 @ 8:14 AM

That’s awesome! I think it’s inspiring and motivating to hear of others’ success and to know we can reach our goal too. I love to do yoga, walk and have just started to jog as well. I’ve slacked off a bit and have started to put on a few pounds (it happens a little faster now that I’m a bit older… but that’s okay.) BTW, I just found your blog and seriously LOVE it.