My Obsession with TOM’S Shoes

A while back, I decided that TOM’S were quite an ugly shoe.  Over the years, they’ve grown on me a bit.  I suppose that seeing more of them around these days and watching the new styles begin to surface have made them more appealing.  I’m not sure what it is exactly, but I’ve been hopelessly obsessed with TOM’S lately.  Here are three pairs that I’ve picked up in the last month.

The ballet flats are a newer style.  I bought the Lina print TOM’S first.  They feel like a classic flat, and 1/2 size down from my normal size fits well.  They’re not super comfortable, but people tell me that they will be when they’re broken in.

The Linen Ballet Flats were my next purchase.  It’s always so hard to find light colored shoes to wear in the summer without wearing sandals or flip flops, so I thought these would be perfect.  I ordered my normal size in these and they feel just right.

The “classic” TOM’S were released in Crochet-style this year.  I saw a woman at my son’s baseball game wearing these in an ivory color.  She said that she absolutely loved them but they were hard to keep clean.  That made ordering “black” an easy decision.  The crochets run very big.  I ordered one whole size down from my regular size and they are very comfortable.  They feel like slippers.

I wouldn’t recommend any of them as a shoe to walk great distances in… or to be on your feet all day long (no arch support).  But I think they’re a pretty fun, casual summer shoe.  As a Southern California girl, I wear an assortment of flip flops 92% of the time anyways, so these are a sweet addition to my out-of-control shoe collection.

Here are a few of the newer styles that I’m thinking are pretty cute too.  They come in a bunch of different colors.  I tried the glitter style, but they made me look like a teenager wannabe.  Plus, my 10 year old was horrified when I brought them home .  I promptly returned them.  You can buy these and other styles of TOM’S on their website, but if you order them online… Nordstrom is actually a really great place to get them.  Shipping is free, and if they don’t fit or you don’t like them… they will pay for return shipping too OR you can just bring them in to the store to return.

If you are not familiar with the TOM’S company, they have a nice story behind how they started.  With every pair of TOM’S sold, the company gives a pair of shoes to a child in need.  How awesome is that?  I returned a pair of TOM’S that I bought the other day, and my husband teased me… he said, “Oh great, now they’re gonna take a pair of shoes away from some kid that really needed them!”  Yeah, funny guy- my husband. :)

So what do you think?  Are you a fan of TOM’S?  Do you have a pair, or would you like to check them out?

Disclosure:  There is none.  I’m writing about TOM’S because I like them… and I bought my own shoes, thank you!

21 Responses to “My Obsession with TOM’S Shoes”

Kathryn — May 8, 2012 @ 3:06 AM

I’ve never really seen them for sale over here and I’ve not been hugely enamoured with the pictures I’ve seen but I actually really like the ones you’ve bought. I have a massive collection of ballet flats as I wear them to commute and they look like they’re a nice shape (I’m really fussy!). I also really like the crochet ones too. I have some black trousers that they would look perfect with. I may have to pick some up when I’m in the States in the summer!

Ashley — May 8, 2012 @ 5:48 AM

I got my first pair of Tom’s about a month ago-a red pair of wedges. I got blisters the first few times I wore them but since then they have been alright. I think they are fun. My next pair will probably be a pair of ballet flats. I might even get my son the boots next winter. I like their story and their philanthropic ways.

Carrie @ Bakeaholic Mama — May 8, 2012 @ 5:59 AM

Cute! I have never heard of Toms. I live in the middle of the sticks… new trends and styles get here a little late lol! But I’m loving the crochet ones. CUTE!!

Brandie @ Home Cooking Memories — May 8, 2012 @ 6:00 AM

I’m kinda like you…when I first saw them a long while back, I didn’t get the appeal. But then I started seeing more and more of the styles and they began to grow on me. I still don’t own a pair — I have a pair of black crochet style shoes that look almost identical, but not actual TOM’S. I’ve been eyeing a few pairs though…my style would be anything with black, white, and/or red.

Ali @ Gimme Some Oven — May 8, 2012 @ 7:15 AM

I’ve been eyeing the ballet flats for months – so cute!! I pretty much live in my two pair of TOMS. So comfy!

Bev Weidner — May 8, 2012 @ 7:17 AM

I LOOOOVE Tom’s wedges! In BLACK!

Lauren — May 8, 2012 @ 7:41 AM

I’m slowly becoming obsessed with TOM’s too! My husband too. They’re just SO comfy!

Emilie @ Emilie's Enjoyables — May 8, 2012 @ 7:47 AM

ehhh I still kind of thing they are strange looking, but that’s how I felt about Uggs for the longest time too and now I love mine. So I think in time I’ll be a fan :)

Jen — May 8, 2012 @ 7:47 AM

I hated them at first and just like you, they slowly grew on me. I have the university design in gray and I love them! I got my sister the white crochet ones like you have for her birthday last month and she already wants another pair.

Averie @ Averie Cooks — May 8, 2012 @ 8:09 AM

About a month ago I ordered the crochet flats AND the red print ones in the very first pic on the lefthand corner of your collage b/c they didn’t have my sizes in the stores. They arrived but were both too big and they don’t come a 1/2 size down. Unfortunately I got charged for shipping, both ways, which was about $12 bucks each way. So I paid about $25…to try on shoes. That I don’t own. Super frustrating so I probably won’t try Toms again but I want to; they are sooooo cute! Glad you’ve had luck!

• Lori Lange replied: — May 8th, 2012 @ 8:11 AM

Order from Nordstrom and no shipping costs either way! I always order clothes/shoes from Nordstrom and then just take them back to the store if I don’t like them. Dangerously easy shopping!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — May 8, 2012 @ 8:15 AM

Good tip. They used to charge for shipping but I guess that’s changed…wow, Dangerously easy shopping is right! :)

Aster — May 8, 2012 @ 9:20 AM

I love my Toms! I don’t think they are as big over here in the UK as they are in the US but they are a hidden gem! I got my first pair as a birthday present from my husband as I am a big ballet pump girl. I was totally converted! Besides the fact they were PURPLE (*swoon*) they were so flipping comfy and felt mch more secure on my feet. I now own a chocolate and navy pair and the red and fushia are on my list…. But my purple pair are still my favs…

Janelle — May 8, 2012 @ 10:31 AM

I tend to resist things that are trendy just because I don’t want to be part of it (I finally embraced flats last year, and Harry Potter only three years ago). But I’ve lately been noticing the ubiquity of Tom’s shoes and not minding them at all. I’ve been thinking about maybe getting a pair, but I hate to pay name-brand prices. I’ll have to check them out, though. That pink/purple espadrille wedge is really cute! Did you know that Croc’s makes cute pumps and flats, too? I have a friend who has a few pairs.

Jenn @ Icing on the Cake — May 8, 2012 @ 11:56 AM

I personally have never been a fan of TOMS, but maybe that’s because I try not to spend more than $25 on a pair of shoes if I can help it. Also, my friend got a pair in February and there are already holes worn in them…and she doesn’t wear them all the time either.

cara — May 8, 2012 @ 2:34 PM

Wore my TOMS wedges today! They have bright, Spring flowers on them & are currently my favorite shoe. I get tons of compliments on them. Nordstroms buy. Needed to exchange them for a half size smaller, as many have said online. Problem now….can’t wait for another pair!! :)

Margaret — May 9, 2012 @ 9:05 AM

I absolutely love my Toms! I own 4 pairs, including the black crochet ones. I plan on getting a pair of the flats because I think they’re so cute. I actually find them very comfortable to stand in for long times and walk around in.

amanda — May 11, 2012 @ 12:58 PM

I had a pair of the basic style and it ended up hurting my big toe and for the past 8 months, I’ve been healing my toenail. It got infected and half of it broke off. So, no more TOMS.

• Lori Lange replied: — May 11th, 2012 @ 12:59 PM

Whoa, really??? I wonder how that happened? Too small? That’s crazy. I have so many shoes that I just wear them once in a while. I can’t imagine wearing them around anywhere where you have to walk a lot though.

Tessa — May 22, 2012 @ 8:10 PM

I LOVEEE TOMS.. they are amazing. should really check out the glitters… THEY ARE AMAZING!!!

Brianna — April 9, 2013 @ 5:38 PM

I LOOOOVVEE Toms! I have 10 pairs! Their sooo cute and comfy!