Red- Faced Runners: 5K Challenge

You may have heard of us before… The Red-Faced Runners? We’re a determined bunch, inspiring each other to keep fit and healthy and happy. Our love for running (most of the time) and our tendency to end a session of exercise with a very red face brought us together. And we’re hoping you’ll join us in a 5K Challenge!

We’re a varied bunch. Some of us can run like there’s no tomorrow (many miles and many races under our belts), and some of us are more mild runners (running when we can and as far as our bodies will take us on a given day). I fall somewhere in the middle of all of that. What we really have in common: We feel like Wonder Woman when we get a good run in. Definitely. And we have the socks to prove it.

As Red Faced Runners, we’re hoping to encourage our readers to follow along on a an exercise challenge with us. We’ve all committed to running a race on the weekend of Sept. 8th. We’d like to encourage you to join us! Not literally join us, but join us in your commitment online, and sign up for a race in your own town to work toward. If you’re not much of a runner, you can always commit to walking a 5K, or you can train for it by working through something like the Couch to 5K program. Let’s do it!

Here are a couple of sources for you to check out to see if there is a 5K or greater run in your area on the weekend of Sept. 8th:

To get yourself motivated, buy yourself some cute new tennis shoes, and maybe a workout outfit or two! Having new shoes is always nice when you start up a new workout regime. And it’s a good idea to have to have proper shoes for exercising too.

Just think how great you’ll feel committing to an exercise routine during the summer- when you want to be clad in as few clothes as possible, cute sundresses and (gasp!) a bathing suit. Plain and simple: exercise makes you feel GOOD! And if you happen to get a RED FACE from all of that exertion, well then you get the added bonus of officially calling yourself a red-faced runner! :)

The challenge for me this summer is that my family is on this crazy vacation, and we’re in hotels in different cities and on the road too.  I just exercise wherever I can- hopping on hotel treadmills in the hot cities, and getting outdoors to run in others.

Please let me know if you’d like to follow along and challenge yourself to train for a race in September! You can totally do it… you know that, right? Let’s motivate each other over the next couple of months, okay?!

Here are my other Red-Faced Runner friends… you can visit them for additional motivation. We’re all committed to running a race in September in our own cities>

Cindy, Once Upon a Loaf
Amy, She Wears Many Hats
Kristen, Dine & Dish
Bridget, Bake at 350
Katrina, In Katrina’s Kitchen
Robyn, Add a Pinch
Carolyn, All Day I Dream About Food
Krista, Budget Gourmet Mom
Shawn, I Wash…You Dry
Dara, Cookin’ Canuck

What do you have to do to join us? Nothing major. Everyone is totally welcome!

1. Just state your commitment in the comments below.
2. Share the challenge on your blog if you’d like (if you have a blog).
3. Pick a race in your town and sign up for it.
4. Visit Cookin Canuck’s blog for a great post on all sorts of inspiration for beginner and seasoned runners. Plus a suggested training plan!
5. Plan out your strategy in training for your race.
6. Use the hashtag #RFR5K when discussing the challenge on Twitter.
7. Keep us updated on your progress! I’ll be posting about the challenge a few times before September. Pop in and comment about how your training is coming along!
8. Consider joining My Fitness Pal to track your exercise (and calories, if you’d like). You can find me there under “RecipeGirl).
9. Get your family or friends involved too!  You may be surprised how many people are actually interested in that push to get fit!
10.  Good luck!

42 Responses to “Red- Faced Runners: 5K Challenge”

Ali @ Gimme Some Oven — June 25, 2012 @ 6:05 AM

Love this!!! Especially love the picture of you two at the end — so cute! :)

• Lori Lange replied: — June 27th, 2012 @ 7:19 PM

Thanks- I love that I’ve gotten my son into running. He loves running w/ his mama!

BinomialBaker — June 25, 2012 @ 6:08 AM

This is great! I am training for a Half-Marathon and my brother and I signed up to run the 4th of July 10K in our hometown. I think exercise is so important and any motivation is great!

• Lori Lange replied: — June 27th, 2012 @ 7:22 PM

That’s awesome- good luck w/ your half-marathon. I did one in 2011. It was tough, but such a great feeling to accomplish!

Cookin' Canuck — June 25, 2012 @ 7:11 AM

Love that photo of you and Brooks, looking happy and red-faced together. I’m so glad to be doing this challenge with you!

• Lori Lange replied: — June 27th, 2012 @ 7:23 PM

And I’m so appreciative of all of the hard work you’ve put into making this happen. You’re such an inspiration to me!

Amy @ The Blond Cook — June 25, 2012 @ 7:22 AM

I am totally in on this one! I was so proud of myself; ran my second half marathon in April…now I can barely run 2 miles! Thanks for the motivation to “get back at it”.

• Lori Lange replied: — June 27th, 2012 @ 7:24 PM

Isn’t it awful how quickly you lose that stamina when you don’t run regularly! You’ll get back there!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts — June 25, 2012 @ 7:24 AM

What a great thing you guys are doing! I am an in between runner as well. With summer and the kids home it is just so hard to fit in sometimes! Keep up the great work!

• Lori Lange replied: — June 27th, 2012 @ 7:24 PM

It sure is! Fit it in whenever you can!

Bev @ Bev Cooks — June 25, 2012 @ 7:32 AM

Sooo on it!

• Lori Lange replied: — June 27th, 2012 @ 7:25 PM

Well, of course you are! Duh!

bridget {bake at 350} — June 25, 2012 @ 8:14 AM

Love that picture of your & RecipeBoy! I just told kiddo he’s running this one on September 8th with me! ;)

• Lori Lange replied: — June 27th, 2012 @ 7:25 PM

Awesome! The kids feel so great to accomplish a feat like this too!

Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy — June 25, 2012 @ 9:53 AM

looooove your shoes! what a great color!

• Lori Lange replied: — June 27th, 2012 @ 7:26 PM

Those are my “alternative” running shoes… when I’m not running very far. Had to have some purple ones :) My better shoes for running are Brooks brand.

Lorena — June 25, 2012 @ 10:19 AM

Fun! I’m in the midst of a summertime workplace team-building fitness challenge and have been wondering what to build up to — a 5K sounds like a great idea.

I’ve been slowly building my endurance over the past few weekends, alternating between jogging and walking with my toddler (in a jogging stroller, of course) in different spots around San Diego. This sounds like just the kind of inspiration I need!

• Lori Lange replied: — June 27th, 2012 @ 7:27 PM

Sounds perfect! And isn’t San Diego a great place to train too?! We are very lucky indeed.

Averie @ Averie Cooks — June 25, 2012 @ 10:23 AM

Fun post and would love to know what race you’re thinking of doing in San Diego (if you’re going to be in town that weekend). I may be traveling but if not, I love to run and maybe I should do a race!

• Lori Lange replied: — June 27th, 2012 @ 7:28 PM

I’m not entirely sure yet! Would love to have you join me though!

Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen — June 25, 2012 @ 11:31 AM

I love that last photo :) You have so much to be proud of, Lori!

• Lori Lange replied: — June 27th, 2012 @ 7:29 PM

Ah, thanks. And you too! I love our group!

Amy — June 25, 2012 @ 5:04 PM

Love your photos! So happy to be part of such a wonderful group of ladies with you. Looking forward to seeing how many red faces join us!

• Lori Lange replied: — June 27th, 2012 @ 7:30 PM

hundreds, thousands, millions! We will welcome them all :)

Kristen — June 25, 2012 @ 7:45 PM

Oh you were brave and showed your red face too!
    I love that we are doing this together!

• Lori Lange replied: — June 27th, 2012 @ 7:30 PM

Me too, Kristen. Too bad we didn’t get a chance to run in KC together!

Wenderly — June 26, 2012 @ 4:14 AM

This is so fun!! I’m so impressed that you are keeping up with it on your vacation! Go Lori!

• Lori Lange replied: — June 27th, 2012 @ 7:32 PM

Girl, if you saw what I’ve been eating on this vacation… you’d understand why I’m obsessive about trying to get to the gym in every hotel possible!!

Sarah Z — June 26, 2012 @ 7:07 PM

I just started running a few 5Ks this year and will be running the Dylan’s Run 2 mile for Autism Awareness in Milwaukee on Sept. 9! (sorry 1 day off!) Unless i can get my girls to do a 20K relay with me on the 8th!

I plan to blog about my experiences a few times in my blog amongst my typical posts. I will definitely be mentioning you ladies :) Good luck to everyone!

• Lori Lange replied: — June 27th, 2012 @ 7:33 PM

Sarah- the weekend of Sept. 8th is all we’re shooting for, so the 9th is perfect! What a great cause too. Thanks for the shout out- good luck to you too!

carrian — June 26, 2012 @ 9:18 PM

Hey lady, I’m totally in!!!! Add me to the list!!!

• Lori Lange replied: — June 27th, 2012 @ 7:33 PM

Awesome- welcome to the group!

alix from calicookingcouple — June 27, 2012 @ 10:56 AM

i am in. the race that I want to run is in august- close. But I am going to try and find another one to also run in september. Please allow us to be part of your group. Yesterday I ran 2 miles. I had to take my 6 year old son so we could encourage each other. He did so good I was proud of him. Only had to take a quick break in the jogging stroller.
    Cali Cooking couple is ready to get fit and be in their first 5k.

• Lori Lange replied: — June 27th, 2012 @ 7:35 PM

That is awesome! I plan to sign up for more than one 5K too… and I’m eyeing that fun Color Run 5K in my city in November. Sounds like you’re well on your way- yahoo!

Joanie @ Zagleft — June 27, 2012 @ 4:23 PM

Count me in!! This is just what I needed to get moving again. Had to stop due to plantar fasciitis (heel pain) but it’s better now so I’m in! It’ll be fun keeping up with everyone and great motivation to keep going!

• Lori Lange replied: — June 27th, 2012 @ 7:36 PM

Oh gosh, I hear ya on the plantars fasciitis- I had it last year for about 5 months and was forced to NOT run. It was horrible. It’s finally gone and I’m being careful with over-training. Glad yours is better now too! Good luck getting back into it again! Have fun!

shannon — June 28, 2012 @ 12:54 PM

I’m with you girls! I started running again 3 weeks ago and am up to two 1-hr runs a day. So much more fun than it was when I was a kid, no I-Tunes then! lol
    I’ve also started a new blog about my journey to a better me including all the real stuff, like weigh in’s and up and downs. Posted a 2.8 lb weight loss (picture of weigh in) yesterday. I hope some of you will check me out at http://www.abettershan.blogspot.com and lets all have a great time and get healthy!

Thanks Lori for helping us to all have a little extra support and motivation! :)

jeny_nour — June 29, 2012 @ 1:55 AM

“All Fun, Less Sun”

Since going back to school in 2006 for a BA and then on to my Masters, I’ve gained 40 lbs by living on ‘student chow’ and never moving out of my siting position (sitting in the car, at my Grad Assistant office, in the classrooms & library, and at my desk nights doing homework).
    Here, it’s over 100 degrees daily most of the week (in the US Southwest), so I’ll be doing my training indoors. Hence the “All Fun, Less Sun” label.
    My goal is to get from 208 down to 153: a pound lost for every year of my life.
    I’m at 198 lbs now, and I think adding a training routine for a 1/2 marathon walk is a great idea.
    I’m in.

Courtney G. — June 30, 2012 @ 9:01 AM

I have been looking for the motivation to start running again for a few months. My last run was in April. I am committing now to running a 5K in August and September. I have already put in 3 runs towards this goal.
    Thanks
    Courtney

Mary Beth T. — July 1, 2012 @ 7:22 AM

I did it! I registered for The Gail Perkins Memorial Ovarian Cancer 5K. I’m not sure I’m thinking clearly. I’ve never ran 1 mile let alone 3.2. I do walk 2 miles 6 days a week, but I better pick up the pace! I can do this……no problem… Right? Thank you for being the inspiration I needed.

Samantha @ FerraroKitchen — July 26, 2012 @ 6:12 PM

I am SOO in this! I was just tweeting that I want to create a Running Journal and someone suggested #rfr5k!! I am thrilleddd!!!! I am doing the Long Beach 5k on Oct7…now I need to find a Sept one!

• Lori Lange replied: — July 27th, 2012 @ 8:10 AM