This Frito Snack Mix is some pretty addicting stuff. It’s a mix of Fritos corn chips, Chex cereal, pretzels and nuts. Those are all combined with a sweet syrup, then baked, and then mixed with M&M’s. Watch the video showing you how to make Frito Snack Mix, then scroll to the bottom of this post and print out the recipe so you can make it at home!
This recipe was first shared here on RecipeGirl way back in 2012. I was finishing up the manuscript for The Recipe Girl Cookbook, and my friend Shelly from the blog, Cookies and Cups offered to guest post here and share this recipe.
I’m so glad she did because this Frito Snack Mix has been a RecipeGirl favorite for many years now. People like to make it for parties and lunchboxes and general snacking and dessert. Shelly figured out how to turn Fritos into candy, and it’s pretty delicious!
Frito Snack Mix
Hey guys! Shelly from Cookies and Cups here! I’m so excited to take over, if even for a day, at Recipe Girl.
Lori’s site has been a favorite of mine for ages and we actually got to hang out last December in real life on our Girl Hunter weekend. She’s as nice as you would imagine and I can’t wait to get to spend time with her again.
Here’s the thing about taking over someone’s virtual space. It’s a little nerve racking. If you are familiar with my blog you will know that I am all about low-down dirty desserts. The kind that you eat hiding in a closet…the kinds that are laden with butter, sugar and candy.
So as much as I would love to make you something fancy-ish or gluten free, or whole-grainy, I just can’t do it.
Instead, I made you Frito Snack Mix, which is basically Fritos covered in sugar. Don’t be disgusted. Be intrigued.
I promise it’s good stuff.
How to Make Frito Snack Mix:
First mix some Fritos, Rice Chex Cereal, Pretzels and nuts in a big bowl.
Then melt a little butter, brown sugar and light corn syrup in a small saucepan.
Bring it to a boil…
Pour the caramelly sauce over top your Frito mixture and stir to coat evenly.
Pour the entire mix into a roasting pan and bake for 8 minutes. Stir it up and bake for 8 more.
Then spread it all on a parchment paper lined counter and let it cool. (if you use wax paper, spray it with a little nonstick spray before you spread the Frito Snack Mix over it- to prevent sticking)
When it’s cool sprinkle some M&Ms on top. I mean, why not?
Feel free to eat in the closet or on the couch.
If you’re looking for more delicious snacking recipes, you might also enjoy my S’Mores Granola Bars or these Milky Way Brownies. Caramel Corn, Soda Can Cupcakes and Reeses Peanut Butter Banana Bread are major favorites too!
Frito Snack Mix
- 15.5 ounces Fritos corn chips
- 2 cups Rice Chex cereal
- 2 cups pretzel twists
- 1½ cups nuts (walnuts, peanut, cashews suggested)
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup mini M&M's
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl combine the Fritos, Chex, Pretzels and nuts. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan melt the sugar, butter and corn syrup over medium heat. Let the mixture come to a boil and then boil for 4 minutes without stirring.
- Remove the pan from heat and pour over the Frito mixture, stirring to coat evenly. Transfer the mix to a large roasting pan and bake for 8 minutes. Remove to stir and bake for an additional 8 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to a wax paper lined counter and let it cool completely before breaking into large clumps. When cooled sprinkle M&Ms over mix. Store in an airtight container for up to a week.