The kind of muffin you’d expect at grandma’s house: Old Fashioned Blueberry Muffins
Old Fashioned Blueberry Muffins
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- ¾ cup granulated white sugar
- 2½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1¾ cups fresh blueberries, divided (or frozen, unthawed)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners, or spray with nonstick spray.
- In a small saucepan, combine the milk, butter, orange zest and vanilla. Stir over medium heat until the butter melts. Cool until the mixture is lukewarm to touch. Beat in the eggs.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Remove a heaping tablespoon of the flour mixture and mix it with 1⅓ cups blueberries in a small bowl; set aside. Add the milk mixture to flour mixture in the large bowl and stir just until blended. Gently fold in the flour-coated blueberries.
- Divide the batter equally among the muffin cups. Sprinkle the rest of the blueberries on the tops of each muffin cup. Bake 16 to 20 minutes, or until golden and a tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer to racks and cool.