A favorite recipe to utilize fresh tuna steaks: Seared Asian Tuna Steaks
Seared Asian Tuna Steaks
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 6 whole green onions, sliced
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup toasted sesame oil
- coarse salt and fresh ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
- 1 1/2 pounds small eggplant, halved lengthwise and sliced 1/2-inch thick
- Four 6 to 8-ounce tuna steaks (about 1-inch-thick)
- Prepare sauce: In a medium bowl, stir together ginger, scallions, vinegar and sesame oil; season with salt and pepper.
- Prepare eggplant: In a 12-inch nonstick skillet with a tight fitting lid, heat 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add eggplant, and season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly softened and lightly browned, 5 to 6 minutes. Uncover and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and browned, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer eggplant to a serving platter. Wipe out skillet with a paper towel.
- Prepare tuna: Rub tuna steaks with remaining 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil; season with salt and pepper. Return skillet to heat, and raise to high. Cook, turning once, until browned but still pink in the center, about 5 minutes total. Cut each tuna steak in half; divide among four plates. Spoon sauce over tuna and eggplant, and serve.