This Three Bean and Sausage Bake is a super easy dinner recipe to make. I like to serve a scoop of this on top of my Sweet Cornbread– delicious!
Of all of my Quick and Easy recipes, this is one of my favorites to make for dinner. There’s a short list of common ingredients in this recipe, and if everyone likes beans then it will most definitely be a big hit.
You’ll need a 9×13-inch casserole dish. I like to use a glass pyrex pan for this Three Bean and Sausage Bake as I find it’s easiest to clean up. You can find a nice 9×13-inch pyrex HERE on Amazon, if you don’t already have one. I like this one because it has a lid- so it’s easy to store leftovers in the fridge!
What ingredients are needed for this recipe?
Three Bean and Sausage Bake (obviously) calls for 3 kinds of beans. You’ll use kidney beans, white beans and pinto beans. Turkey Kielbasa is the protein in this casserole. You’ll need onion, garlic, ingredients for simple sauce, and a handful of cheese (I use low fat).
How do you make Three Bean and Sausage Bake?
Sliced Kielbasa, onion and garlic are sauteed together in a large skillet. Then you’ll add the beans, water, and a simple sauce made from ketchup, spicy brown mustard, cider vinegar and brown sugar.
The Kielbasa and beans and the sauce are scraped into a casserole dish and sprinkled with the cheese. It’s baked for about 40 minutes, until it’s hot and bubbly. That’s it!
Is this Three Bean and Sausage Bake Weight Watchers friendly?
This recipe is most definitely Weight Watchers friendly! Thanks to WW new Freestyle program, beans are absolutely free- they count as zero points- and that means you can eat a very filling 1 cup serving of this Three Bean and Sausage bake for just 6 points. If you choose to eat it with cornbread… well, that’s another story.
I do love to make recipes that are heavy on the beans when I’m following Weight Watchers because I find that they really fill me up. It means I’m not craving more food as soon as I finish eating (which happens sometimes when I try to pass off a lighter-style soup as dinner).
If you’re not on Weight Watchers, you can eat this meal and enjoy it too. It’s not a Weight Watchers specific recipe, but it just happens to work for those who are on that type of diet.
Here are a few more recipes highlighting beans that are Weight Watchers friendly:
- Tuscan White Bean Soup with Prosciutto
- Tuscan Pumpkin White Bean Soup
- Lemon- Basil Three Bean Salad
- Southwestern Black Bean Soup
- Black Bean- Mango Burritos
Three Bean and Sausage Bake
- 16 ounces turkey kielbasa, sliced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 15-ounce can Great Northern beans, rinsed & drained
- 1 15-ounce can pinto beans, rinsed & drained
- 1 15-ounce can red kidney beans, rinsed & drained
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup low fat shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 9x13-inch baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Spray a large nonstick skillet with nonstick spray. Heat over medium high. Add kielbasa and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, 3-4 minutes. Add the onion and garlic; reduce heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is softened, about 4 minutes. Add all beans, water, ketchup, mustard, vinegar, and brown sugar; cook, stirring occasionally, until the flavors are blended, about 5 minutes. Pour the bean mixture into the baking dish.
- Sprinkle the bean mixture with the cheese. Bake the casserole until bubbling in the center, 35 to 40 minutes. Let stand about 5 minutes before serving.
- WEIGHT WATCHERS FREESTYLE SMARTPOINTS per serving: 6
- If preparing this as a GLUTEN FREE dish, be sure to check the following ingredients to make sure they are gluten free: kielbasa, beans, ketchup & spicy brown mustard. Serve on top of some Gluten Free cornbread!
- Make ahead: Prepare through step 2, then let cool completely. Wrap well and freeze for up to 1 month. Thaw in refrigerator overnight. Unwrap and continue on to step 3 to cook.