LAMB SHANKS W/ ARTICHOKE CAPONATA
4 lbs lamb shanks (4 shanks- bones cracked)
1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
1 cup thinly sliced celery
8 oz box frozen artichoke hearts
1 cup drained pitted kalamata olives
1 Tbs drained capers
1 tsp dried basil
14½ oz can diced tomatoes
1½ Tbs red wine vinegar
1½ Tbs cornstarch
2 Tbs chopped parsley
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
2. Rinse shanks, pat dry, and arrange slightly apart in a 10×15″ pan; sprinkle all over with pepper.
3. Bake shanks until well-browned, 20-30 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, in a 4½ quart or larger electric slow cooker, combine onion, bell pepper, celery, artichoke hearts, olives, capers and basil. Set shanks on vegetables in cooker. Add tomatoes with juice, vinegar, and any lamb juices from baking pan.
5. Cover and cook until lamb is very tender when pierced with a fork, 6- 6½ hours on low, 4- 4½ hours on high.
6. With a slotted spoon, transfer each shank to a wide, shallow bowl and keep warm. Skim and discard fat from cooking liquid. Turn cooker to high. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch with 1½ T. water; pour into cooker and stir often until sauce is bubbling, about 10 minutes. Spoon sauce and vegetables over lamb, and sprinkle portions with parsley.
Recipe Source: Sunset
PRINT THIS RECIPE using your browser’s ‘print’ function. It’s automatically formatted to print recipe & picture only.
RATE THIS RECIPE[ratings]