Here’s a terrific lower calorie chili recipe: California Chili
Yield: 6 Servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour and 15 minutes
Sometimes I use a whole pound of ground turkey to satisfy my bigger eaters with a little extra BBQ sauce for simmering and it's a huge success...
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1/2 pound ground lean turkey
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 2 large tomatoes, seeded & diced
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed & drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed & drained
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 Tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup prepared barbecue sauce
- salt & pepper to taste
- Melt butter in large saucepan over medium-heat. Add turkey and cook until browned, stirring frequently- about 5 minutes.
- Add onion and bell pepper and cook until softened, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and cook 5 minutes. Stir in all remaining ingredients and simmer until thickened, at least an hour.
- If you are preparing this recipe as GLUTEN-FREE, be sure to use brands of beans and barbecue sauce that are known to be GF.
- Serve with toasted garlic bread or homemade beer bread.
- Nutritional Information per serving (Serving size: 1/6th of the recipe) Calories: 242, Fat: 4g, Saturated Fat: 1.5g, Sugar: 8g, Fiber: 11g, Protein: 16g, Cholesterol: 21mg, Carbohydrates: 37g
- Weight Watchers POINTS: SmartPoints: 7, Points Plus: 6, Old Points Program: 6