New York Style Cheesecake is a creamy, classic cheesecake with a layer of sour cream floating on top. It’s often served with fresh berries.
A New York Style Cheesecake is known for being more creamy and dense than typical cheesecakes. A New York cheesecake is made differently than other cheesecake recipes. In this recipe, it’s baked at 350 degrees F., and then the oven is turned off and the cheesecake continues to bake in the warmed oven for an additional 90 minutes before opening the oven. A layer of sweetened sour cream is spread on top of the baked cheesecake.
What kind of pan is needed to make cheesecake?
You do need a special kind of pan in order to make classic cheesecake recipes. It’s called a Springform Pan, and it’s an inexpensive buy. Purchase one (easy) on Amazon, or pick one up at Target or HomeGoods. You don’t need to spend a lot of money on a high-end, pricy springform pan.
Classic New York Cheesecake starts with a graham cracker crust, which is a mixture of graham cracker crumbs, sugar and butter. It’s not a crust that needs any baking. The crust ingredients are combined and then pressed into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch springform pan.
The cheesecake filling:
In this recipe, the cheesecake filling is very simply made with just five ingredients. Cream cheese, Greek yogurt, sugar, eggs and vanilla are combined to create the filling that will turn into cheesecake when baked.
What kind of toppings can be used for a cheesecake?
New York Cheesecake is delicious eaten plain and all on its own. Cheesecake enthusiasts will appreciate a good-tasting cheesecake without any toppings. Many people desire something extra to adorn their plain slice of cheesecake. Here are some ideas for topping cheesecake:
- top with fresh fruit
- Chocolate Sauce
- Blueberry Sauce
- Salted Caramel Sauce
- Hot Fudge
- Hot Butterscotch Sauce
How to store leftovers of cheesecake:
Cheesecake needs to be stored in the refrigerator. Covered with plastic wrap, cheesecake will last three days in the refrigerator. If you’re able to put it into an airtight container, it will last a little longer- about 5 days.
Here are a few more dessert recipes you might enjoy:
- Cinnamon Apple Pie Cake
- Fresh Fruit Pizza with Lemon Curd
- Apple Slab Pie
- Strawberry Crisp
- Cream Cheese Pound Cake
- Nutella Skillet Brownie
- Almond Butter Cake
- Layered Strawberry Trifle
New York Style Cheesecake
- 1 3/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- 1/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 3 8-ounce packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
- 3/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1/3 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- fresh berries, for serving
PREPARE THE CRUST:
- In a medium bowl, stir together the graham cracker crumbs, butter and sugar; pat into the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan, and up 2-inches on the sides of the pan too. Place the pan in the freezer while you prepare the cheesecake filling.
PREPARE THE CHEESECAKE:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place a pan of water on a lower rack of the oven (this will help prevent the cheesecake from cracking while baking). Place the second rack in the middle of the oven.
- In a large bowl, use a hand mixer to combine the cream cheese, yogurt and sugar. Beat until fluffy; add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla. Scrape the cheesecake batter into the frozen crust.
- Place the cheesecake on the middle rack above the pan of water, and bake for 50 minutes. THEN TURN OFF THE OVEN AND LET THE CHEESECAKE STAY IN THE OVEN (you can turn on the light to take a peek, but don't open the oven) FOR 90 ADDITIONAL MINUTES.
PREPARE THE TOPPING:
- In a medium bowl, use a whisk to combine the sour cream, sugar and vanilla.
- After the 90 minutes, remove the cheesecake from the oven and add the sour cream topping. Spread it evenly on top of the cheesecake. Refrigerate overnight.
- Remove the springform ring (use a sharp knife down the sides if you think the cheesecake has stuck to the pan). Garnish cut slices with fresh berries.